Roadhouse Blues mayhem

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

mute_nostril_agony

Roadhouse Blues mayhem

Post by mute_nostril_agony »

Sounds like all hell breaks loose at the end of the live version of 'Roadhouse Blues' on the 'An American Prayer' album. Jim's yelling "The flames, the flames. Get us out." Do you have any recollection of where this took place and what was going on? Or was it just created in the editing room from various events?

I asked Robby after a Robby Krieger Band show one night and he said he thought it was from one of the Aquarius shows, but there's nothing similar to it on the Bright Midnite Aquarius releases. I asked Ray if he remembered after a performance he gave at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame a few years ago. He said, "Life, man. Life. That's what was going on!". So perfect and so typical of Ray! By the way, that was one of the most entertaining and enjoyable shows I can remember. Ray on stage sitting at a keyboard borrowed from a local musician with the director of the Rock Hall asking him questions. They were supposed to go through the history of The Doors album by album. Ray kept wandering off the subject to early influences and childhood memories, play some boogie woogie, tell a Morrison story. It was hilarious! The guy from the Rock Hall couldn't keep him focused on the scripted topics. By the end of the night, they had only made it to 'The Soft Parade' before they had to call it quits. Great fun, and Ray was very gracious with the fans afterward as well.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I believe these faint mutterings were from his b-day poetry reading. Of course the 'astrology rap' is from the Boston '70 show. There is nothing like this on any of the remaining A-L recordings.
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

wha happened wrote:I believe these faint mutterings were from his b-day poetry reading. Of course the 'astrology rap' is from the Boston '70 show. There is nothing like this on any of the remaining A-L recordings.
Yep, Astrology rap is right after Five To One and before a horrible version of Build Me a Woman.
cutis

Post by cutis »

Crown Royal wrote:
wha happened wrote:I believe these faint mutterings were from his b-day poetry reading. Of course the 'astrology rap' is from the Boston '70 show. There is nothing like this on any of the remaining A-L recordings.
Yep, Astrology rap is right after Five To One and before a horrible version of Build Me a Woman.

I wouldn't call it horrible.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

I would.
It's dreadful.
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

cutis wrote:
Crown Royal wrote:

I wouldn't call it horrible.
Remember that the audience recording masks a lot of how drunk Jim actually was.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Of course, but on the Astrology Rap and BMAW I think it really shines right on through the audience recording.
Robby seems to be tuned a bit low, as well, it throws off the whole song.