Whisky picture

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

Whisky picture

Post by silentseason »

I couldn't get the photo to upload so I listed the link. Nothing special, but a nice picture of the Whisky in the daylight and a broader view of it's immediate surroundings on Sunset Blvd. Beside I'm guessing the Beau Brummels, I see two bands that might be familiar to Freedom mans forum :wink:

http://www.mansonblog.com/2018/07/who-w ... s-car.html
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Re: Whisky picture

Post by jamestkirk »

Cool. You are right. Couldn't get the larger pic.

Sons of Adam (with Love drummer Michael Stuart) appearing (left, on the marquee), and Love billed to appear (right). So glad Arthur finally talked Michael into joining Love!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Very cool. Note that the upcoming show advertises Buffalo Springfields. Love were introduced at Fillmore West as The Love. I don't care how you say it, would pay anything to have seen these guys, live, in their heydays!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

So this is from Michael about the Love/Sons of Adam gig at the Whiskey (above):

...Actually this is my first gig with Love after we had recorded Da Capo. We debuted the album at The Whisky. I joined up in late-August/early-September just in time for the Da Capo sessions after Arthur had seen me play with The Sons of Adam at Bido Lito's the previous late-spring (like around May). The gig with Love at The Whisky was with Craig Tarwater on lead guitar with the Sons and me drumming with Love.

Somewhat complicated I know.

I only wish you could have seen and heard me play live. Unfortunately, I was recorded light, by lightweights like Bruce Botnick so my recorded sound is "light and tasteful". Good engineering is, for the most part, all in how you adjust the potentiometers. I had a much heavier sound. More like a mixture of Mitch Mitchell combined with John Bonham.

When I got off the stage a couple of years ago, after having sat in with Johnny and the Love Revisited group, a guy came up to me and said, "Man, you were ferocious!" That was more my sound, rather that what you hear on Da Capo and Forever Changes, ergo my disappointment.

--Later, Michael

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

Thanks for the color picture Scott. The Whiskey really was an unobtrusive building considering the epic sounds that were created live daily from within. I am curious what the other posters that are pasted on front are saying, maybe promoting a movie???

Cool memories from Michael. He definitely has an edge that wasn't fully represented in the final recordings of FC and even Da Capo.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:Thanks for the color picture Scott. The Whiskey really was an unobtrusive building considering the epic sounds that were created live daily from within. I am curious what the other posters that are pasted on front are saying, maybe promoting a movie???

Cool memories from Michael. He definitely has an edge that wasn't fully represented in the final recordings of FC and even Da Capo.
1966 film "The Pad (And How To Use It)"

Sounds like a downer film, except for the club scene bit.

THE PAD (AND HOW TO USE IT) 1966
U.S. film. Set in the swinging sixties, "The Pad" is the story of two bachelors, one a brash, swinging ladies man and the other, a shy, nice guy with no clue about women. Bob, a sensitive man who lives alone, attends a classical music concert and meets Doreen, a woman he thinks may be the one. They plan to meet up for a date but because he's shy and inexperienced he asks his best friend Ted along for moral support.

On the date Doreen admits that she only attended the concert because she received a free ticket and has no interest in classical music, which is Bob's passion. Doreen is enchanted by Ted who cooks the evening meal and flirts with her while Bob gets drunk. Bob and Ted's friendship falters and Doreen goes off with Ted.

In the end Bob sits in a dark room, listening to Madame Butterfly. He deeply gouges the needle across the record, then places it back on the record. As he sits in the dark crying, Madame Butterfly plays with a repetitive audible scratch distorting his beautiful music.

Look for terrific swinging night club scene featuring caged go-go dancers. The Knickerbockers song, "The Pad and How to Use It" is blaring on the house system as Ted eyes a sexy babe dancing with another guy. He makes his move and the two dance away leaving her original partner alone at the end of the song. Also, look for Bob's audiophile Hi-Fi system. Nice turntable! Brian Bedford, Julie Sommars, James Farentino, Edy Williams, Nick Navarro, Pearl Shear, Roger Bacon, Barbara London.

-Aldous Huxley