looking for 70s british bands rock

Discussions of other bands, including D21C/ROTS should go here.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

anytimecowboy

looking for 70s british bands rock

Post by anytimecowboy »

Im a big fan of mark 2 deep purple and always found some similarities between their sound and the doors sound around same time circa 1969-1971. That bottom end bluesy sound with the big organ presented mainly on Fireball and Machine head and the doors sound they had developed by Morrison hotel.

I also like a lot of other British heavy blues and proto-metal bands from 69 through 1973, Fraction and stackwaddy and of course sabbath Can anyone suggest other British bands that fit this description I might want to check out?
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Steeps

Re: looking for 70s british bands rock

Post by Steeps »

Fraction were a very interesting band but they weren't British, they were American. Have you heard Captain Beyond's first album? That is very good album from a great band made up of ex-members of Deep Purple, Iron Butterfly and members of Johnny Winter's band.

I went through a period of listening to obscure psyche and proto metal albums, I'll take a look through them and see what is worth checking out.

Do you have the book about Phantom's Divine Comedy that was discussed on this board recently? There is an appendix in the back of there that lists lots of obscure psyche and proto metal bands from this period, along with descriptions of the music. Let me know if you don't have it and I'll see if I can scan the pages and send you them.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

HI, good point about Fraction, I really just said British bands as generally I have a specific interest in UK heavy rock in that period, it s a personal thing, but I just tried to name the bands that best exemplify the sound I like

I have heard captain beyond yeah, and they were a lot better than I expected.

That divine comedy appendix sounds fascinating id very much like to read that, id appreciate a scan if you can thanks, have you seen the CD box set ' I'M a freak baby'?

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Im-A-Fr ... se/8991110

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Steeps

Post by Steeps »

Okay no problem. The book is on my Kindle so I have took photos of the appendices. There's around 40 pages altogether. What's the best way to get it to you? Can you send files via private message on here? If not send me your email address and I'll send it over.

I haven't seen that CD but it looks interesting, some good bands on there and lots I've never heard of. I'll check it out thanks.

Another band that I have heard compared to the Doors, and one that I've never heard so can't comment on that either way, are Writing on the Wall who released one album called Power of the Picts. They were a Scottish band so from your neck of the woods I believe?
Ledboots

Post by Ledboots »

If its 70s and British bands your are after its gotta be the Faces :) Rod Stewart at his best before he went all disco. A great party band who had 'A Real Good Time'
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Steeps wrote:Okay no problem. The book is on my Kindle so I have took photos of the appendices. There's around 40 pages altogether. What's the best way to get it to you? Can you send files via private message on here? If not send me your email address and I'll send it over.

I haven't seen that CD but it looks interesting, some good bands on there and lots I've never heard of. I'll check it out thanks.

Another band that I have heard compared to the Doors, and one that I've never heard so can't comment on that either way, are Writing on the Wall who released one album called Power of the Picts. They were a Scottish band so from your neck of the woods I believe?
Hey sorry been busy, yeah I've came across Writing on the wall before somewhere, best way to get that to me would be here apache_alba@yahoo.com, Id love to read the appendices you are referring to.

Steeps

Post by Steeps »

anytimecowboy wrote:
Steeps wrote:Okay no problem. The book is on my Kindle so I have took photos of the appendices. There's around 40 pages altogether. What's the best way to get it to you? Can you send files via private message on here? If not send me your email address and I'll send it over.

Hey sorry been busy, yeah I've came across Writing on the wall before somewhere, best way to get that to me would be here apache_alba@yahoo.com, Id love to read the appendices you are referring to.
Email sent man, let me know if it doesn't arrive or if you can't access the attachments.