Photo Of John In Newspaper Day After Jim Went To Hospital ?

What Doors items do you have in your collection?

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Right! Curious...
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

Thanks for the research and translation!
I really wonder what other reviews had to say.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

john christopher wrote:hi everybody. I'm the highest bidder on this mag yet, but as there 's another one for sale yet, I think it would be stupid to overbid each others, & spend a bunch of money. guys , It's my point of view.No problems for me to scan it & post it here , or send it to someone by e-mail.
take care.
The inside of the magazine only has a pic of JA no Doors.Just hears from the seller.
john christopher

Post by john christopher »

I lost it. it goes for 32 euros. too bad..
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Mystery Train wrote:Thanks for the research and translation!
I really wonder what other reviews had to say.
You are very welcome :wink: I am now waiting for a response from NRC handelsblad and still waiting for Het Parool for sending me the article.
There must be more, so let's wait and see what will surface
:D
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

thefreed wrote:
john christopher wrote:hi everybody. I'm the highest bidder on this mag yet, but as there 's another one for sale yet, I think it would be stupid to overbid each others, & spend a bunch of money. guys , It's my point of view.No problems for me to scan it & post it here , or send it to someone by e-mail.
take care.
The inside of the magazine only has a pic of JA no Doors.Just hears from the seller.
Good thing to know. I can get it for €35,00 but with no pic, fuck it!
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

The review from Het Parool arrived in my mailbox. But again no published photo :? I made a scan of it and a quick translation.

This review from Het Parool is the complete opposite then the one from De Volkskrant.
This describes a very enthusiastic audience of young people under the age of twenty that came without a doubt to see the performance of the Doors. A sold out show with one performance at 7 and one at 11.30.
Jefferson Airplane was received good but not outstanding.
They offcourse mention the short little dance on stage with Jefferson Airplane. After Jim was rushed to the Hospital The Doors manager and Ray let the decision to perform without Jim to the public.
It was very handy of organizer Paul Acket to leave that up to the Doors them selfs.

The conclusion was that Jefferson Airplane was little impressive and that The Doors made a brilliant show even without the leadsinger. There was more attention for the music and they are praised for their great musical skills and for the fact that they decided to perform without Jim.
The handicaped Doors stole the show.

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Cool! Thanks for this one.

Wonder if the Wilhelmina Gasthuis still has some papers on Jim when he was there.And maybe, just maybe he had to sign his realese from the hospital.......?
That would be some document!

Thanks Monique!
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

thefreed wrote:Cool! Thanks for this one.

Wonder if the Wilhelmina Gasthuis still has some papers on Jim when he was there.And maybe, just maybe he had to sign his realese from the hospital.......?
That would be some document!

Thanks Monique!
You are welcome Ed :D This review is problaby the one that The Doors got to know about the day after.

I think Jim problaby had to sign something or the manager of The Doors. Especially because he was a citizen from another country. I am not really sure how it worked back then but I think something must exist.
But I think getting acces to medical files is impossible. And so it should be I guess :wink: I do wonder what kind of patient Jim was. He problaby went after the nurses when he was feeling a little bit better :lol:
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

I checked and the original Wilhelmina gasthuis closed it's doors in 1983. transferring everything to the AZU and the university of Amsterdam.
Some of the old building are still up. I found two small photo's. I thought it would be nice to show them.

Image Image
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

I remember a BNN show all dedicated to the doors in amsterdamned. There was a Dutch guy interviewed in it who brought Jim to the hospital. Maybe we can ask BNN to send us a tape of it?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Wasn't that Jip Goldstein, a dutch journalist?
I know he visited Jim in the Hospital, he met Jim again a few years later and thought Jim had turned into a big fat dwarf!
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

No, but that guy was interviewed as well. He said that he first met Jim whole he was looking at the Nightwatch. He had a nice intelectual talk with Jim and then when he met him again a few years later he said that Jim was nothing more than a retard.
I still think he is an asshole.
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

agreed!
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

I just thought about NRC handelsblad. They never send me a reply back about the newspaper articles.
I am going to write another email that Nrc's service sucks if I compare it to other newspapers.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Anyone live near UvA so they can check the microfilm archive?
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

jim4371 wrote:Anyone live near UvA so they can check the microfilm archive?
Someone who has a car please? I would go but I would have to take a day off and travel by train. So if anyone lives near by and likes to go... Otherwise I will try to work something out.
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I'll keep checking in to see if any further progress has been made. There has to be a copy of that photo out there. I refuse to believe no one who saw the show that night saved the paper from the following day. Thank you, everyone, for your efforts.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:I'll keep checking in to see if any further progress has been made. There has to be a copy of that photo out there. I refuse to believe no one who saw the show that night saved the paper from the following day. Thank you, everyone, for your efforts.
Well to my surprise I had an email of the NRC handelsblad this morning.
Let's see what they can come up with :wink:
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

They woke up...who would have thought =) For the Dutch who like to read it:

Geachte mevrouw Van Schalm,

Excuses dat het zo is gelopen.
Ik zal een poging doen materiaal uit het archief te verzamelen.
Helaas kan ik niet garanderen dat u komende week iets ontvangt.
Ik hoop zo snel mogelijk e.e.a. naar u te sturen.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Marianne Vermaak
NRC Handelsblad documentatie
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Awesome!
Great job, M! :D :D
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

thefreed wrote:Awesome!
Hey, what does it say?? :lol:
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

universalmind69 wrote:
Oh I'm sorry :lol: They are sorry that it took so long( well that is an understatement) and they will be searching the archive and sending the material to me. But I can not expect it in with in a week. ( I would not have expected it anyway, this is NRC) =)

There you go Andy :D
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

MistyJm wrote:
universalmind69 wrote:
Oh I'm sorry :lol: They are sorry that it took so long( well that is an understatement) and they will be searching the archive and sending the material to me. But I can not expect it in with in a week. ( I would not have expected it anyway, this is NRC) =)

There you go Andy :D
ok, sounds good...nice going, misty! :wink:
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Even if they will find nothing, this is a great initiative Misty!
I hope they will find it!
:)
SF
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Silver Forest wrote:Even if they will find nothing, this is a great initiative Misty!
I hope they will find it!
:)
SF
They must find something. I mean the other two did. Not exactly what we needed but they had something. I have a feeling NRC is the place to be.
But they are not very fast in replying. if this doesn't work out there is still the option to go to Amsterdam and check out the library there :wink:
Or Delft I believe they have all the newspaper archives too, so if someone lives close by to Delft in The Netherlands pm me please.
MysticHeatedWine

Keep up the great work !! Hope you find it !!
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Still nothing, I emailed again. No response what so ever. They better get something good :|
MysticHeatedWine

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we have faith in you. Hopefully it'll turn up. Thanks again for your efforts.

Michael
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we have faith in you. Hopefully it'll turn up. Thanks again for your efforts.

Michael
Thanks Michael :wink: Well one thing is for sure. NRC will not win the beauty price for best service =)