female Doors fans, why?

Introduce yourself to the forum or just get something off your chest in this off-topic area.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Post by Guest »

I can tell you one thing. I am not flakey.

I love the Doors, because I think it is the best music ever recorded!

And I think Morrison is the best songwriter in the world!

I have never tried to emulate Morison. In fact, I think he needed help.
galitos

Post by galitos »

help yourself

the way you talk gives you out
vince

Post by vince »

The Best music ever recorded is played by symphony orchestras and Pipe Organs. Even that has it's limits.

We could say - Some of the best Popular Music, for those who will not take the time, or hanve the inclination, to study really good music which happens to fall under the Classical catagory.

But we also have such performers as Dylan, Beatles, Yardbords, Joni Mitchell and other who write equally good music, though of a different genre than the Doors.

Remember that ai am a fitting esxample the the world of Classical and Popular music can exist in one person.

To claim that the Doors Music is "The best ever written" is to exhibit exactly what people are saying - Fanatic!!!.

Morrison certainly is no poet. His creative period was short lived and became mundane after 1967 or so. Remember that Morrison did NOT write their most succesful music. He did write the "Fantasy" lyrics that made them so "Strange" and popular. They lost that after the third album. He lost his voice and the music hit bottom with LA Woman. Even Paul Rothschild gave up on the droll, draggy monotonuos tunless rasping that was passing for music at that time. I can tell you that audience reaction to that drivel was far less enthusiastic than responce to Crystal Ship, LMF, When the Music's Over and The End among others.

You have a right to your opinion. Everyone does. You opinion should be respected. But it should not be based on physical attraction. In this case, based on your posting - Non-Flaky Lady, I doubt that your motives and assesment of their talent are purely musical.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Nick

Post by Nick »

Emulation is a perfectly healthy part of intellectual development. I really don't get the flaky (no E) female Doors fan thing, there's just as many guys hung up on wanting to be like Morrison, and I've known dozens of good looking, intelligent girls that are fans of the band. Grew up in a small town but the music taste there was really retro.
vince

Nick & Girls

Post by vince »

Nick - Be it known that "FANATIC" has a specific meaning. What is less known is that FAN is a short form of that base word.

I have never met a Female Doors Fan that was not a Fanatic.

I have met my share of Male Fans as well, And I most certainly had my share of Fanatics, one of which caused a Lot of trouble on the Doors sets in San Francisco.

Perhaps the girls are more visable, more pronounced more hysterical. I cannot telly ou all that. But they sure do make themselves a nuisance. I was even stalked by one.

What can I say. Personally I find the dress-up Morrisons repulsive. They are perhaps more wierd that the girls but I think, fewer and further between so possibly less noticeable.

That's about it.

VT
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Nick

Post by Nick »

See what you mean about more pronounced. A female's just more likely to go into feelings about him. Yeah look-a-likes are creepy, even seeing pictures from cover bands. I'm thinking about seeing one in London this summer since some people I know are going, but I think seeing someone dressed up as Jim would just ruin my time, wouldn't want to end up drunk making rude comments at the singer, when it'd make more sense to not go.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Hey Nick, you posted that emulation is perfectly healthy. But you find the Morrison wannabes creepy? Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'emulation' on my first post, rather imitation is more fitting.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Healthy: To write shitty poems about lizards when you're 15, or pick up certain books because Morrison read them.

Creepy: Dressing up as a dead guy and putting a perm in your hair.
motown

Post by motown »

Hey Vince, don't think we'll meet anytime soon since I don't get to Korea much, but I am a female Doors fan who was never a fanatic, even when I started listening to them when I was fourteen, which was, um, a long time ago. For me, the Doors have always been about the music--I never fantasized about Morrison. And although I love the Doors' music, I don't think it's the greatest music ever made, or even the greatest popular music of all time. I rather doubt that the people who claim that Jim Morrison is one of the greatest poets of the 20th century could name half a dozen others, much less that they've read them.
vince

the equality

Post by vince »

Motown:

Nice to read a balanced review of the feelings that make a healthy respect for a group wirthwhile.

I must agree with all your observations. What makes the Doors Music appealing is the content of the lyrics. What makes the music appealing as the orchestration. It is not Unique in all times, but is certainly was different back then and there have been few imitators that I know of.

Enjoying the music, the members of the group, knowing details about them is not being Groupish" It is no different than understanding the background of a writer or Classical composer.

Thanks for your nice view and welcome to the Forum where only Groupies should be seen but not heard. Everyone else - stand up and shout.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

I am a female Doors fan and after reading this thread, i think i will change my user name.........
:wink:
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Yer fine BeautifulJim. No need to do that IMO.
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:Yer fine BeautifulJim. No need to do that IMO.
DM, everyone here will think i see Jim Morrison in my plate........ :P
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

They shouldn't worry about me. I NEVER talk about Morrison.......And i promise i will keep for myself what i think about Jim's attributes..... :wink:

And i know this board is more serious than the LL. That's why i registered. Maybe i won't have much to say about The Doors (beside all those hard fans) but it is really nice to read something else than shit......
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Welcome aboard.
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

Thank you very much mister DM!!! :D
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Aww, we'll play nice. Welcome aboard. :)
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

wha happened wrote:Aww, we'll play nice. Welcome aboard. :)
Anyway you are not allowed to bitch the french speaking i am......
I could misunderstood and it would bring you much problems........ :lol:

And merci for your welcome....
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Your English is better than my French. :mrgreen:
BeautifulJim

Post by BeautifulJim »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:Your English is better than my French. :mrgreen:
You manage computers things better than me...... :wink:
cutis

Post by cutis »

<Morrison certainly is no poet. His creative period was short lived and became mundane after 1967 or so. Remember that Morrison did NOT write their most succesful music. He did write the "Fantasy" lyrics that made them so "Strange" and popular. They lost that after the third album. He lost his voice and the music hit bottom with LA Woman. Even Paul Rothschild gave up on the droll, draggy monotonuos tunless rasping that was passing for music at that time. I can tell you that audience reaction to that drivel was far less enthusiastic than responce to Crystal Ship, LMF, When the Music's Over and The End among others.>

I must say, Vince, while its your opinion, you sure come across harsh in your assessment of Jim after '67. Its your opinion that Jim was no poet but I think he was. And I disagree with you when you say Jim did not write the doors most "successful music." Light My Fire, Love Me Two Times, Touch Me, are not my favorite Doors songs by any means. Even if Robby did "write the songs" Jim always added a little something extra to make the song work, in particular when it came to the lyrics. The fact is, nobody wrote songs in a vacuum. Robbie came up with the riff for Peace Frog but the lyrics are Jim's and Jim's alone. Peace Frog is one of my favorite Doors songs and it was released on the Morrison Hotel album which you consider to be inferior to the Doors first couple of releases.

Celebration of the Lizard was Jim's fantasy piece and while the rest of the band helped to create the sound and music for it, the lyrics are Jim's alone. COTL is the Doors at their finest, IMO, in particular, their performance of the piece in the first set at the Aquarius theater in '69. The piece is "perfect." I don't hear any false notes and it just works and it takes me away to some other place just like Jim intended. Somewhere along the outskirts of infinity....

The End, WTMIO, BOT, 5 to 1, LA Woman, Queen of the Highway, Roadhouse Blues, and so many more, the fact is, Jim's lyrics make up probably 80% or more of Doors songs and over half of all Doors songs came from Jim's head. Jim was central to the Doors as a band and no way could Robbie have come up with the material that Jim alone produced. Calling LA Woman "drivel" is pretty mean too. The title track is the best song on the album and while I wouldn't consider it the "best" of the Doors catalog, the song itself, along with ROTS, are two of some of the best songs the Doors ever wrote and again, using Jim's lyrics. Yes, Jim's voice was gone by the time LAW was recorded but its the music that counts just the same.

I feel sorry for you Vince that your impression of Jim was truly restricted given that you interacted with Jim mainly during the production of live shows and a few times in the studio. But you never really socialized with Jim outside that framework. And Jim was so much more than his onstage persona. Yeah, he got drunk one too many times. But he also wrote and produced a film, recorded his own poetry several times, published several volumes of his own poetry, and continued to write with or without the Doors. Other friends of Jim give a much different impression of him than you do. Although I do understand your resentment because of the way you felt you were treated at times by Bill Siddons. But I really don't like to think of Jim so harshly as you do. I apologize for the long post but I feel like in some ways, Vince, you are a counterpoint to Ray's mythology of Jim but then there still is a "center" somewhere that describes a much more complicated personality. I don't like to view Jim through anykind of reductionist perspective. Jim was so many things to so many difrerent people who knew him. He just wasn't solely a drunk after '67. You should read the interview that Tony Funches gave about his time spent with Morrison. When you do, you'll get a much different impression of Jim than the one you have now.
vince

Jim & his output

Post by vince »

In all discussions we can all recognize that each person has their own preferences when they review music, art, literature and so forth.

I give Jim full credit for all the "Fantasy" work he did. And I point out that it was this music that made them rocket to the top of the charts. I came to work with them as a result of the fantasy.

Light My Fire was probably the most played most in greatest demand of any piece they performed. The boys performed what they wanted. They did not have a set playlist. Everything was on the spot. Of course, there was some music that they could not easily play - that which was done with an orchestra, and was not given a live performance. More's the pitty, there was some nice material.

You favorite pieces are all yours. Others may like or not as they choose. I have no arguement with your preferances. I "Harshly" pointed out that the creative work that brought fame to the Doors, dried up. His entire direction changed as he became overweight and his voice began to lose that lovely silky, well controlled sound that he had through 1968.

Things changed. So did Jim and with him, the trend of the music. Under the influence of Ray, and with the "Failure" or inability to continue to produce that "Fantasy", they moved ever further into a blues style music.

That did not change the ability of the group, as a whole, to produce fantistic music. Nor does it suggest that many people were not interested in that style of music. Certainly it did not lower the demand for recordings that pushed all the original albums to gold. I do not deny that there are some really nice pieces on the later albums. I do not like blues style music just as I do not like most of the baroque music for Organ.

I was within the group. I was in the rehearsals and recording sessions. Most certainly I was on stage. I can tell you that, in those days, the demand was more for the Fantary works than for the later music when in live performance.

In any case, People have asked my opinion and thoughts. I have given them. My statements have no bearing on what you like or what anyone else likes. They state my position, reflections, feelings. I think that, like yourself, I am entitled to my position and should be able to state that without too much rebuttal. I again remind all that it was the early music that made them famous. Very few groups were writing that kind of lyrics. No other group played with that style of orchestration. Combine the two and you have a winner. You have a leader. Write the same kind of music as other groups and you have another band differentiated only the the popularity of the live performances. However, the orchestration, which set the group apart, did not change and I think that, regardless of the "Style" of the music, has kept them so popular for so long.

That is my opinion. You are entitled to yours.

Thanks for positng.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

And with that said, we just had our 3000th post on this forum!
I'd say, up to the next 3000!
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
vince

THE MILESTONE POSTS

Post by vince »

Well, I wish I had put 1500 of them up in answer to the many questions and discussions that have appeared. It is interesting to note that many find this Forum much more intellectual than toer locations. I am do happy that those who visit here are satisfied with the format and conduct of the general member ship.

Nets stop, i guess, is 6000, No, how about 6820. That is the number of pipes in the YounDong Organ.You can count them if you like. Bring a lunch.

Thanks to all of you for your support. I am sure that Freedom Man is more than rewarded for his efforts to make this Forum available to all.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
jim4371

Re: THE MILESTONE POSTS

Post by jim4371 »

vince wrote:It is interesting to note that many find this Forum much more intellectual than other locations.
I'm glad you've never had to deal with the Lizard Lounge, you might have been driven into seclusion.
This place is such a massive improvement over that drivel it isn't funny.
And now we have people working together to spread the content we have/can get, this place has a lot of potential.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

thefreed wrote:And with that said, we just had our 3000th post on this forum!
I'd say, up to the next 3000!
Well, jim43 made the 4,000 post in the 'TTOS' forum. :D
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

I know I am almost a year late with a response on this subject. I think it's a good question. I am just in this for the music. The lyrics, The feeling.
Sure Morrison was hot. I am woman and I am not blind duh, but he's also dead. What you see on LL is very tragic. There seem to be more talk about who Morrison loved then talk about the songs the Doors made.
And that is sad.
Would I have lived in the 60's and givin the chance would I have fucked morrison? I honestly don't know. I would have rather had a peek inside his brain. To understand what was going on in there.
I am amazed that this topic had so many views but so little responses.
Are there so view woman Doors fans for the music? I do not like that idea :?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Have you been to those Doors meeting's in Utrecht at Stairway To Heaven? I believe there have been two meeting now.I talked to Leon, the light guy from the Doors coverband The Bootleg Doors.He's working on setting up a new meeting.My guess is that there were about 50% men/boys and 50% woman/girls there.
I'm not sure when the next will be but Leon said it could be very interesting this time.I guess he has some special guest coming, but I'm just guessing.
I'll let you know when I know more and maybe I see you there.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

thefreed wrote:Have you been to those Doors meeting's in Utrecht at Stairway To Heaven? I believe there have been two meeting now.I talked to Leon, the light guy from the Doors coverband The Bootleg Doors.He's working on setting up a new meeting.My guess is that there were about 50% men/boys and 50% woman/girls there.
I'm not sure when the next will be but Leon said it could be very interesting this time.I guess he has some special guest coming, but I'm just guessing.
I'll let you know when I know more and maybe I see you there.
No really I haven't heard about that :shock: please keep me posted on that.
It's very close to where i live. It would be great to meet.
It's also good to know that there were 50% men and %woman.
That is really great to hear. It all sounds very exiting Ed
:)
Dragonfly

Post by Dragonfly »

I am a female Doors fan and I'm not a flake. So there! Image :lol:
Watching the stars till they're gone,
like an actor all alone,
who never knew the story he was in,
who never knew the story ends.
Like the sky reflecting my heart,
all the colors become visible.
When the morning begins... I'll read the last line.