Robby's studio amps?

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

atherber

Robby's studio amps?

Post by atherber »

Anyone know about Robby's studio amps? I've only heard they were Fender. But that could mean a lot of things...what era, model, speakers, etc?

Also would love to know what creates the bite in studio cuts like Roadhouse Blues and LA Woman.

Then there's the tone on the studio cut of Peace Frog...probably a topic in itself. Any clues? I think pickups out of phase is one piece of the puzzle.

Thanks in advance,

Andy
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

i think that he used a twin reverb most of the time. he used a vibro champ on people are strange, so he probably used it on a few other things as well.
atherber

Post by atherber »

Cool. Were they blackface?
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

in 1967 , it would have to be black face. it sounds like the solo in the middle of Moonlight Drive was done on a vibro champ as well.
atherber

Post by atherber »

Makes sense. And what a solo that is. Some of the sounds are animal-like. Always seemed too raw to be the blackface twin. Thanks...
halfmorrison

atherber

Post by halfmorrison »

Way to go Andy! :D
vince

Post by vince »

Robbie used Twin Reverb amps in studio. He liked the sound - not that it mattered after it hit the recording board. He had a tape reverb unit that he used when he wanted really good reverb effect. We took it on the road and he oft times used it there as well.

For the record, He had a borwn Fender as well. Fairly old but again he liked the tome of it.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors