John's Mod Orange Ludwigs

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

mod orange

John's Mod Orange Ludwigs

Post by mod orange »

Hello Vince, my name is Kurt and I am a huge Doors fan like everyone else. I am curious to know the whereabout of John's original mod orange ludwig set. John claims that it is at the peterson museam in LA but I looked at the photos and the set in those pics is clearly not his original set. The set in those pics has a 22 inch bass drum, 12 inch tom and a 16inch floor tom. Johns Doors set was the downbeat model with a 20 inch bass drum, 12 inch tom and 14 inch floor tom. I have been obsessed with that set for years and have my own mod orange set. I would really like to see the set one day and have seen a picture of you holding what looks to be the 14" floor tom. Do you know it's whearabouts and it's present condition. Any info on it would be greatly appreciated. I believe the kit was made some time in mid to late 67 as that color came out in late spring 67. It looks almost brand new in the Ed Sullivan performance so I would'nt be all that surprised if it was bought in NY. Thanks for your time.
-Kurt
http://www.idafan.com/John-PetersonMuseum2-06.htm

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... D%26sa%3DN

drums

Post by Guest »

I cannot tell you when that set was purchased. If it was in New York it was at Many's drum shop if I remember right.

That floor tom was givent ome by John just at the end of shooting the Foors movie in 1990. I still have it and I can confirm that it is the original.

The Mod Organ set was in use form the time I cmae until Siddons decided to get rid of me. that was February of 1972. The last time I worked with them was in January 1972 when they had the performance in Palm Springs on top of the mountain. This was the "Celebration" of the purchase of Elektra by Warner. For some idiotic reason they decided that the Other Voices should play in the lodge up there, hauling all our equipment up the tramway.

There was a high wind that night and many of those riding the tram down got sick. We had to haul the equipment down the trams that was absolutely reeking of vomit. They tried to wash it out but it was so cold at the top that the water froze - the vomit with it. That was the last time I saw the drums until John gave me the floor tom in 1990.

By the way - we dealt with 2 drum stores. Manny's in New York and the Pro Drum Shop in Los Angeles.

Hope that gives teh information you want.

Vince Treanor

Post by Guest »

wow! thanks for the reply. Are you saying that the original set was used in the movie? I wonder where the rest of it went. Do you think John knows that the set at the peterson museam is really not the set he used with the doors? Thanks so much for the reply! I would love to see some color pics of that floor tom. That set was my all time favorite drumset.

Post by Guest »

Hello again - No. the original set WAS NOT used in the movie. I was part of the Find It squad as a result of being a tech advisor on the film. When it came time for the drums, none could be found. They got catalogues and photos of the original set and made a copy using paint. Studio artists are just that and they can do just about anything. The drum that I have is the original given to me on the occasion of driving John and some things he had back to his Malibue house.

Unfortunately, the originals, just like the big amps that i built for them, are gone.

Thanks for the responce.

Vince

Post by Guest »

Thanks so much for the respone. It is sad to hear that the originals are gone but at least you still have the floor tom. I have a set identical to the one John used in the VH-1 storytellers. Mine is dated March 26th 1969. Again the thank you for setting the record srtaight.[/img]
Estella

Post by Estella »

Hi Vince, is this John's floor tom?
Where was the picture taken?
Thanks a lot!

vince

Photo

Post by vince »

Hi - thanks for writing. I guess this picture is spread around

The Date of that photos is approximately July of 1990. Location, the front door of my former residence at 760 Milwood Avenue in Venice.

The Floor Tom - part of John's original Mod Orange set, was given to me by John himself after the making of the doors fantasy movie. I still have it.

I also have several mikes used in the Movie.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

Vince,
There's a house for sale 920 Milwood Ave. Venice for 1.4 Mil. How much would that bungalo have cost back in the late 60s? I can't believe people would pay that much today, it's amazing, they are so small and built right on top of each other.
Later.
Terry
vince

Milwood Avenue

Post by vince »

In 1946 760 Milwood Avenue was built for $15,000.00

In 1975 760 Milwood Avenue sold for $40,000.00

in 1977 753 Palms Avenue sold for $68,000.00

In 1996 760 Milwood Avenue sold for $200,000.

In 2005 760 Milwood Avenue sold for 1.4 million

These lots are quite deep and many of them either have a garage in the rear, behind a loce back yard. or a seond structure as a resntal property. A single room "Apartment" 4 years ago, rented for 1200.00 per month.

Unfortunately, the rental market is like a helium balloon. It goes just so high and then pops. I pitty those who are buying now because it is not likely they will ever get their money back.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
Terry

Post by Terry »

Looks like the person who bought the house in 1996 and then sold in 2005 made a huge profit on that house. Oh my god., unbelievable. You should have stuck around a couple of more years Vince. :shock:
Terry
vince

Venice House

Post by vince »

The lady who bought the house had to put a great deal of money into it. The former owners did not do anything for the house over a 20 year period and things wre pretty bad

You are right, however, she made nearly a 300% profit on her initial envestment.

The real estate market in the US is very active with a lot of profit making at this time.

This is a bubble and it will like burst. I have my investment as well - Who knows what I will be doing though. I have to go back to LA before October of this year - we shall see what happens then.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors