Meeting Oliver Stone

We're lucky to have former Doors road manager Vince Treanor here to answer fan questions and share some of his memories. Ask Vince about anything related to the equipment The Doors used, stage set-ups, specific concerts, the band after Jim's death, and working on the Oliver Stone movie.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

Stuart

Meeting Oliver Stone

Post by Stuart »

Vince, How did it come to pass for you getting contacted by oliver stone?, what stuff would you say he was interested the most while talking to you regarding the movie? was it all just"Jim, Jim, Jim" or did he actually try to do objective reasearch do you feel?.

Thanks.
vince

Meeting Stone

Post by vince »

I was contacted by the man who was responsible for the Music and technical end of the Film. I was hired as A technical Advisor as you will see on the credits though my name is misspelled. I did not often talk to Stone though on the one occasion we had a serious discussion it was about the truthful presentation of the Miami incident. I suggest that he had the chance to present the real event. He insisted that they audience wanted "Excitement" so truth was less important. They wanted to see spectacular effects rather than just the real performance and what happened.

This was also the reason that Ray had such a disruptive relationship with Stone. Stone wanted fantasy and Ray want4ed reality.

As far as where Stone got his ideas for the movie - Danny Sugarman's book and his desire to make a sensational fim about a controversial figure. Stone saw this as a chance to portray his fantasy of Sugarman's dream world and make some money. As we know, the film as over budget and under tacket sales. He got what he made - a bad movie.

What is regrettable is that, though no one knew it at that time, Paul Rothschild was to make this travesty his last production.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
windchime

Post by windchime »

Hi Vince,

I have watched that movie so many times, love the music and Kilmer does quite a job although I know most of the movie is more entertainment than fact. I was curious though, I know that Sugarman was a part of helping make the film but Stone thanked JOhn's "Riders on the Storm" specifically at the end of the credits. I was wondering what your thoughts on that are as John's book was really well written and I believe the most accurate. I only say this because he has stayed true to himself since The Doors as he knew them were over, and reamins this way. It just seemed like a very honest portrayal of what took place. What are your thoughts?

Thanks~

PS. I will look for you the next time I watch the movie.
vince

John's Book

Post by vince »

I have not had the opportunity to read the book written by John. In fact I havenot read too many of the books that have been published.

John is really a character.He has remained sincere and with purpose for his wholelife. One cannot say toomuch about the quality of his character. John was always the Funny Guy when we were together.

Not having read the book I would assume that John's telling of the story would be fairly accurate. Each person who tell about their part in those times will bring a different view. Naturally, they will focus on their personal parts of the events. I am no different. Naturally I cannotmake comment on the personal life of any of the Guys. But the events of the stage, rehearsal, office and studio can be portrayed with some accuracy.
Vince
Road Manager
The Doors
windchime

Re: John's Book

Post by windchime »

vince wrote:I have not had the opportunity to read the book written by John. In fact I havenot read too many of the books that have been published.

John is really a character.He has remained sincere and with purpose for his wholelife. One cannot say toomuch about the quality of his character. John was always the Funny Guy when we were together.

Not having read the book I would assume that John's telling of the story would be fairly accurate. Each person who tell about their part in those times will bring a different view. Naturally, they will focus on their personal parts of the events. I am no different. Naturally I cannotmake comment on the personal life of any of the Guys. But the events of the stage, rehearsal, office and studio can be portrayed with some accuracy.

Oh, you must read the book if you can. It really is a great book and his humor, honesty and recollections of his time with The Doors is really wonderful. It has been a while since I read it, but I LOVE the letter he posthumously wrote to Jim that is peppered throughout the book. He is quite the charachter and seemed to be very witty and have a great sense of humor.

Anyway, thank you for answering my question. Been a long time and I hope that we are no longer at odds with one another. Thanks again Vince.

Peace~

Wendy
J.B.Marx

Post by J.B.Marx »

I believe John says in the beginning of the book that he wrote the book in advice of Lennon. Anyone knows the story about this?
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

Any hard core Doors fan should read Ray and John’s book. I toughed they were great books, I almost cried in both of them. I would like for Robbie to write one too, to read his take on the whole thing. I’m sure Robbie would do a good job. He did write LMF (and other great doors songs of course) :)
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Sacha wrote:Any hard core Doors fan should read Ray and John’s book. I toughed they were great books, I almost cried in both of them. I would like for Robbie to write one too, to read his take on the whole thing. I’m sure Robbie would do a good job. He did write LMF (and other great doors songs of course) :)

I heard Robby was writing one actually......

Can anyone confirm?
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

I know I heard too..but is he working on a Bio...or simply a book with a fiction story that has nothing to do with the doors?
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

Sacha wrote:I know I heard too..but is he working on a Bio...or simply a book with a fiction story that has nothing to do with the doors?

http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/003934.html

ya----scroll down to the last half of the interview
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

Sweet! Thanks :)
Sacha

Post by Sacha »

HAHAHA this part in the interview is really funny!

"Can you tell us about the autobiography?
RK: Well, it’s about me. [Laughs] I don’t know what else to tell you.
Do you have a title?
RK: No, I don’t have one yet. But, I’m definitely writing it. Might take awhile. I wanted to wait until everybody had died, but it's taking too long."