Gloria/My Eyes have Seen You

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

StrangeNightOfStone

Gloria/My Eyes have Seen You

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

The Doors closed out the Felt Forum with a stellar 'Gloria/My Eyes Have Seen You' medley (with some 'Easy Ride' lyrics thrown in).
A great arrangement..too bad Jim's voice was gone...

I believe the Doors did the same thing during 'Gloria' at the Aquarius....the Doors veered from 'Gloria' into 'My Eyes have Seen You' instrumentation (but at the Aquarius Jim didn't sing any MEHSY lyrics)

During WTMO in Pittsburgh '70, the Door veered into MEHSO inststrumentation (Although Jim didn't sing any MEHSY lyrics)...
Any other live songs where the Doors veered into MEHSY instrumentation?

Ever notice the similarity in the instrumentation of the middle of MEHSY with 'The Mosquito'?
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I wish Jim would have picked up on it in Pittsburgh.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I didn't enjoy this version of Gloria. It sounded like they went off the tracks musically and couldn't find there way back on. I really wasn't thrilled with the entire 4th show. Jim's voice was gone. Gloria just sounded sloppy to me. The music just kind of wandered near the end, then they just ended it. I would have preferred it if they had just played My Eyes Have Seen You rather then throwing part of it into the middle of another song, especially a cover. In my opinion, incorporating part of MEHSY into the middle of Gloria comes across as if they didn't value MEHSY as much as they did Gloria. I've never really enjoyed medleys. I would prefer it if they just played the songs in their entirety.
michl

Post by michl »

Encuentro wrote:I didn't enjoy this version of Gloria. It sounded like they went off the tracks musically and couldn't find there way back on. I really wasn't thrilled with the entire 4th show. Jim's voice was gone. Gloria just sounded sloppy to me. The music just kind of wandered near the end, then they just ended it. I would have preferred it if they had just played My Eyes Have Seen You rather then throwing part of it into the middle of another song, especially a cover. In my opinion, incorporating part of MEHSY into the middle of Gloria comes across as if they didn't value MEHSY as much as they did Gloria. I've never really enjoyed medleys. I would prefer it if they just played the songs in their entirety.
i think it wasn't planned to play my eyes have seen you. it just came "accidentaly". improvisation. like jim doing "crossroads" in the middle of "the end" atthe IOW Festival.
wheelz34gh

Post by wheelz34gh »

michl wrote:
Encuentro wrote:I didn't enjoy this version of Gloria. It sounded like they went off the tracks musically and couldn't find there way back on. I really wasn't thrilled with the entire 4th show. Jim's voice was gone. Gloria just sounded sloppy to me. The music just kind of wandered near the end, then they just ended it. I would have preferred it if they had just played My Eyes Have Seen You rather then throwing part of it into the middle of another song, especially a cover. In my opinion, incorporating part of MEHSY into the middle of Gloria comes across as if they didn't value MEHSY as much as they did Gloria. I've never really enjoyed medleys. I would prefer it if they just played the songs in their entirety.
i think it wasn't planned to play my eyes have seen you. it just came "accidentaly". improvisation. like jim doing "crossroads" in the middle of "the end" atthe IOW Festival.
If you listen carefully, with Ray playing the bit from the Soft Parade, Robby was the one who, starting with a fill, changed its course and got them to play that snippet. In my opinion, the whole second half of the song was totally unplanned