For Michael: Love and $$?

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

For Michael: Love and $$?

Post by silentseason »

Michael, Two questions in regards to the almighty dollar.

1) Do you recall if at anytime Love had any offers to use their songs in commercials or ads, and if so what was the outcome?

2) What is your personal take on groups that merchandise their music to things like TV commercials, Guitar Hero, etc... Are they selling out their artistic integrity or making a smart move in promoting their music, or other?
You set the scene
MichaelStuart-Ware

Love and $$

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

I just know that "Alone Again Or" was used in a Miller Beer commercial, and also in the film,"Bottle Rocket"... and then "7&7 Is" was used in the Patrick Swaze film, "Point Break."

I don't think it compromises the integrity of music for it to be used in a commercial venture, at all. It's the responsibility of songwriters to use every opportunity available to make every dollar they can off their product in whatever way possible. Arthur once said, "A man's first responsibility is to put bread on the table," and he was so right.

Besides, great music is great music, no matter what the platform...I remember a few years ago, when Etta James' "At Last" was used for a Jaguar commercial, and, even though it was only a few bars, I really enjoyed watching it (and listening to it) every single time it came on. What a song and what a singer.
silentseason

Re: Love and $$

Post by silentseason »

MichaelStuart-Ware wrote:I just know that "Alone Again Or" was used in a Miller Beer commercial, and also in the film,"Bottle Rocket"... and then "7&7 Is" was used in the Patrick Swaze film, "Point Break."

I don't think it compromises the integrity of music for it to be used in a commercial venture, at all. It's the responsibility of songwriters to use every opportunity available to make every dollar they can off their product in whatever way possible. Arthur once said, "A man's first responsibility is to put bread on the table," and he was so right.

Besides, great music is great music, no matter what the platform...I remember a few years ago, when Etta James' "At Last" was used for a Jaguar commercial, and, even though it was only a few bars, I really enjoyed watching it (and listening to it) every single time it came on. What a song and what a singer.
Rock is a very powerful medium for advertising, to say the least. Around my neck of the woods, Target is using "Pictures of Matchstick Men" for a TV ad and I watch it regardless of what I am doing at that moment. Usually I just ignore them.
You set the scene