YOR FAVORITE DOORS/ELEKTRA LABEL

What Doors items do you have in your collection?

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

jamestkirk

YOR FAVORITE DOORS/ELEKTRA LABEL

Post by jamestkirk »

I have always been a vinyl-phile!! So it will have to be those kinds of labels for me.

The Brown/gold/pewter original color is my sentimental favorite. My first DOORS album is actually more metallic pewter silver colored than brown or gold.....they varied from silver to gold to brown to a kind of yellow gold

Then the guitar player label ...my Bleecker and MacDougal by Fred Neil is on that

Finally the "caterpillar" label that was used on 45s in the UK in the 70's...don't have any but I like it much better than the butterfly label...not too fond of the butterfly label..it looked like Elktra-lite to me after the refined 60's labels.

So what are yours?!!

OOH...I forgot...my promo Elektra odd ball logo....if it's Canadian as Chris thinks it is still a very odd Canadian label with the black "E" instead of white -- the standard Canadian labels are just USA labels with "white "E"...not like this one...it was housed in a promo jacket. Even Holzman was kind enough to talk to me ...no luck...of course he wouldn't know such unimportant production details....

BTW Jac's favorite Elektra album cover is Morrison Hotel.

=)
Last edited by jamestkirk on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

The caterpillar label is on the New Zealand 45's as well.

I am gonna go against you here and say that the butterfly is my favourite.
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Roughie wrote:The caterpillar label is on the New Zealand 45's as well.

That is often the case, roughie, as many were first introduced to ELEKTRA...DOORS or Love or Judy Collins etc thru the Butterfly label.

It just seemed to me to appear with the Disco, bubblegum era so I associated it with the wrong music to my ears! I can see its merits as a kind of creative muse incarnate, but it's just past my time--the golden age of rock...."new" was bad often in the 70's...it usually meant put down the 60's psych/anti-flower power, disassociation music....Disco, New Wave, Punk....bleah! Believe me, there is plenty of music that has come out since the 60's that I love but nothing compares to the 60's for shear greatness and originality!...Doors. Love, Kinks, Beatles , Stones, Country Joe, Who, Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield. Zep...you get me!

:wink:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

jamestkirk wrote:

That is often the case, roughie, as many were first introduced to ELEKTRA...DOORS or Love or Judy Collins etc thru the Butterfly label.

It just seemed to me to appear with the Disco, bubblegum era so I associated it with the wrong music to my ears! I can see its merits as a kind of creative muse incarnate, but it's just past my time--the golden age of rock...."new" was bad often in the 70's...it usually meant put down the 60's psych/anti-flower power, disassociation music....Disco, New Wave, Punk....bleah! Believe me, there is plenty of music that has come out since the 60's that I love but nothing compares to the 60's for shear greatness and originality!...Doors. Love, Kinks, Beatles , Stones, Country Joe, Who, Yardbirds, Buffalo Springfield. Zep...you get me!

I agree with the 60's being the best for music. I have never seen (other than on the net) the guitar label.

When I finally get around to putting photos of my collection on here, I will have to include the labels.

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Roughie wrote:
jamestkirk wrote:

I agree with the 60's being the best for music. I have never seen (other than on the net) the guitar label.
The guitar player label is pretty cool for it's kind of beatnik look.....which fit well with Jac's New York/Greenwich Village folkie direction at the time....before he moved to LA in the mid 60's...though they kept their NYC offices...it was all LA after that...guess Jac had that gut feeling!

The only guitar player label I have is the Fred Neil album I mentioned...it is a beautiful album cover...one of my all time favorite of any-label covers....which can't really be appreciated except on a 12 x 12" vinyl record jacket! Not the best image ere....maybe I can get a good pic of my actual album.

-Aldous Huxley
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Can tell the colours would be beautiful, just by looking at that photo.

Buda

Post by Buda »

I agree James, it is probably one of the best covers of all time. Currently can't tell any rivals to pick out from my mind.
polished_chrome

Post by polished_chrome »

One of my favorites... Robbie Drieger

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I forgot that, PC! I need to look at my vinyl to see if it has that error! Since SP is scare with the gold label, I'm thinking it does.

COOL!

:mrgreen:

-Aldous Huxley