Favorite Movies-go to new thread please! This is broken

Introduce yourself to the forum or just get something off your chest in this off-topic area.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

I have my traditional movies I like to watch at Christmastime.....

Scrooge with Alistar Sim
Bishop's Wife (the ORIGINAL with Cary Grant)
A Christmas Story
Grinch narrated by Boris K
Nightmare before Christmas

You all have any you like to watch every year?
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Whatcha' watching lately?

"To Kill A Mockingbird"...a fave.
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Going on the Sergio Leone Western path again lately.

Once upon a time in the West still is my fave.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

MistyJm wrote:Going on the Sergio Leone Western path again lately.

Once upon a time in the West still is my fave.
Nice, nice one Mon!

Bronson, Ford, Robards and Cardinale.

My favourite from Leone (and one of the films of my life) is Once Upon a Time in America but this western is another masterpiece. Great choice. Leone was a Giant.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Another fave that stars Fonda is "My Name Is Nobody" with Terence Hill.
Heavy influence by Leone, though he only directed a few scenes, he co-wrote the story, & was Executive Producer (uncredited). Pure spaghetti...

A very funny, black comedy western....very strange. Love it.

Have you seen this one? I recommend it!

-Aldous Huxley
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

jamestkirk wrote:I have my traditional movies I like to watch at Christmastime.....

Scrooge with Alistar Sim
Bishop's Wife (the ORIGINAL with Cary Grant)
A Christmas Story
Grinch narrated by Boris K
Nightmare before Christmas

You all have any you like to watch every year?
Maybe not every year but such a obvious choice... this one James!

An interesting Christmas films list:
http://insidemovies.moviefone.com/2009/ ... as-movies/
25. 'The Polar Express' (2004)
24. 'We're No Angels' (1955)
23. 'The Muppet Christmas Carol' (1992)
22. 'Joyeux Noel' (2006)
21. 'Gremlins' (1984)
20. 'The Santa Clause' (1994)
19. 'Bad Santa' (2003)
18. 'The Dead' (1987)
17. 'The Shop Around the Corner' (1940)
16. 'Die Hard' (1988)
15. 'Love Actually' (2003)
14. 'The Bishop's Wife' (1947)
13. 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' (1993)
12. 'Holiday Inn' (1942)
11. 'A Christmas Carol' (1951)
10. 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' (1989)
9. 'Babes in Toyland' (1934)
8. 'Home Alone' (1990)
7. 'Christmas in Connecticut' (1942)
6. 'Elf' (2003)
5. 'White Christmas' (1954)
4. 'Scrooged' (1988)
3. 'Miracle on 34th Street' (1947)
2. 'It's a Wonderful Life' (1946)
1. 'A Christmas Story' (1983)

I have to confess that some of these I don't know :oops:
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

jamestkirk wrote:Another fave that stars Fonda is "My Name Is Nobody" with Terence Hill.
Heavy influence by Leone, though he only directed a few scenes, he co-wrote the story, & was Executive Producer (uncredited). Pure spaghetti...

I don't remember this one in particular but I saw many Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films :lol: Great times. Pure fun!
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Silver Forest wrote:
jamestkirk wrote:Another fave that stars Fonda is "My Name Is Nobody" with Terence Hill.

I don't remember this one in particular but I saw many Terence Hill and Bud Spencer films :lol: Great times. Pure fun!
It's about an aging gunfighter (Fonda) ....Terrence Hill wants Fonda to go out in a blaze of glory and not just fade away, so he devises a way for him go out really BIG!

Quite entertaining and funny. Terrence Hill is an up and coming, fastest young gun who gets them in some crazy situations. Hill is positively insanely funny in this one.

-Aldous Huxley
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Henry Fonda is one of my favorite actors.

My name is Nobody is a great movie for a good old fashion laugh. :lol:
Saint Jimmy

Post by Saint Jimmy »

Some of my favs
The Bleus Brothers(all time fav).
One's upon a time ....
Top gunn(we used to go out Tommy style).
The Doors(got stolen along with my bro's video recorder by a junky).
Lord of the rings(ol 3 of them).
I like the Hitchcock films (north by northwest is my vaf).
You can wake me up for anny war movie(Band of brothers is my fav).
Tarantino is the BOM XD(Inglorius basterds is my fav).
All the four fist movies(Bud and terrance)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Life of Brian(smoking funny).
Down of the dead(the only horror movie I realy like).

I got some more but I dont recall them right now.
I have seen some nice movies in this post!
thats my name, and dont you f*cking wear it out!
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

"Once Time In America".....the uncut DVD.

DID you know it was edited down to two hours in the US when it was released?
The whole childhood chapter was cut, along with various bits here and there, that made it a real puzzle. It was panned by critics as the worst movie of the decade, even though it had wide critical acclaim world wide...of course, they all saw the uncut version.

Decades later when the uncut version was finally released, the US critics proclaimed it the best of the BEST gangster movies ever!

..and did you know that Sergio worked to make this movie for a decade but to no avail...no one would back him-- and Sergio turned down an offer to direct the Godfather...he felt this was the one that needed to be made!

What classics have you seen lately?

-Aldous Huxley
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Saw that one myself recently. Lately I've been watching Kurosawa films. Yojimbo and Seven Samurai are now among my favorites.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

jim4371 wrote:Saw that one myself recently. Lately I've been watching Kurosawa films. Yojimbo and Seven Samurai are now among my favorites.
Good ones, Chris!

-Aldous Huxley
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

jim4371 wrote:Saw that one myself recently. Lately I've been watching Kurosawa films. Yojimbo and Seven Samurai are now among my favorites.

nice!!! love DREAMS and RAN
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

watching " love me tender " with elvis....its on HBO
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Watched "FAhRENHEIT 451" on TCM yeasterday...

pretty chilling when I saw it in the 60's .....of course we were all living in fear of somebody dropping the big one or the cold war or 1984 type societies looming on the horizon.

Anyone else catch this great classic chiller....pretty cutting edge for the day and in the style of the later "Prisoner" BBC series.

:twisted:

-Aldous Huxley
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

An instant classic...

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

The Godfather, pt 1 & 2.

Gotta pull out my first printing, hardcover Book....just saw online that it is
going for $750...rare? Guess so.

:mrgreen:

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Is it a classic yet? Don't know but I enjoy "The Fifth Element" every time!

:lol:

What have you all watched lately...what are your faves?

-Aldous Huxley
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Aaah, how many of these frames are absolute classics? How many can we add?

I LOVE this master piece

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Great one! I saw it in the theatre back then, (1969?) and the sequence where our space hero enters Saturn's "atmosphere" was more of a trip than any sugar cubes we ever dropped!

Great scenes!
=)

-Aldous Huxley
coltturkey01

Post by coltturkey01 »

A few favs:

Pulp Fiction
Infernal Affairs
A Hard Day's Night
Rocky
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Not a classic yet, but a nice little film....

Wilby Wonderful (2004)...an obscure dark comedy.

Watch this if you like poignant, touching films, with a bit of dark & gentle humor.

Hard to find but I did here....a streaming full viewing.

Watch at the site below, NOT at YOUTUBE, as you will get commercials at youtube--even though it has "youtube" imprint, there are no commercials here.

A very good stream with great picture and audio...easy to play it. Click PLAY arrow several times to play....it takes coaxing.

Full movie---be sure to press "pause" at a mini screen in the lower right column or it will play commercials incessantly.

"Wilby Wonderful" 2004 (1hour 29 minutes)
http://www.uzood.com/video/52497/Wilby- ... nline-Free

Wilby Wonderful is a 2004 film by Daniel MacIvor. The film is a dark comedic drama about 24 hours in the life of the small town of Wilby, where the municipal festival is in preparation. It focuses on the changes occurring in the lives of several different inhabitants as development comes to the island and threatens to change the world around them. The title comes from a sign created to promote the town; comically, it has been painted wrong, and says "Wilby Wonderful," as opposed to "Wonderful Wilby."

"A day-in-the-life dark comedy/drama concerning a group of islanders, their respective secrets, and one man's plan to kill himself quietly."

* James Allodi as Dan Jarvis
* Maury Chaykin as Mayor Brent Fisher
* Paul Gross as Buddy French ("Due South", "Witches Of Eastwick" TV)
* Rebecca Jenkins as Sandra Anderson
* Sandra Oh as Carol French (Grey's Anatomy)
* Ellen Page as Emily Anderson ("Juno")
* Callum Keith Rennie as Duck MacDonald
* Daniel MacIvor as Stan Lastman

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Fives smilies from me!

-Aldous Huxley
silentseason

Post by silentseason »

For whatever reason I've become a Humphrey Bogart/film noire fan. I used to laugh at him now when a movie of his is on I don't miss it. Maltese Falcon, African Queen, Key Largo... all classics and done with class and style. I am slightly addicted to cable channel TCM; they do a great job presenting old and newer classics.
You set the scene
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

silentseason wrote:For whatever reason I've become a Humphrey Bogart/film noire fan. I used to laugh at him now when a movie of his is on I don't miss it. Maltese Falcon, African Queen, Key Largo... all classics and done with class and style. I am slightly addicted to cable channel TCM; they do a great job presenting old and newer classics.
Bogie is the best...To Have & Have Not....High Sierra....Treasure of Sierra Madre.

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

FAVORITE music numbers from the classics....

I love this swing number--

Canterville Ghost...rocks the boogie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6dweVmkRF8

Fred putting on the Ritz...Astaire was quite a great drummer too...not just with his feet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFabjc6m ... re=related

Boogie Woogie short...
much better, thank you---thank you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=zyS ... =endscreen

Fred & Rita
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTq85EZ2 ... re=related

Great stuff!

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

jamestkirk wrote:FAVORITE music numbers from the classics....

I love this swing number--

Canterville Ghost...rocks the boogie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6dweVmkRF8

Fred putting on the Ritz...Astaire was quite a great drummer too...not just with his feet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFabjc6m ... re=related

Boogie Woogie short...
much better, thank you---thank you!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=zyS ... =endscreen

Fred & Rita
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTq85EZ2 ... re=related

Great stuff!
Drum Crazy..
though this is obviously synced, it also obvious Fred could drum right along to the beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTiEJqZMW7E

-Aldous Huxley
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Silent Running (1972)

With Bruce Dern

One of my all time favorite sci-fi movies. A brilliant and moving film that really touches me. Ecology baby.

A fine montage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2mFfFwWq-o

Hollywood's greatest plant movie

Botany is a course of study that's gone noticeably unrecognized in cinema. So while the world waits for a Carl Linnaeus biopic, we'll have to make do with perhaps the greatest Hollywood plant movie ever made: 1972's Silent Running directed by Douglas Trumbull—one of the pioneering figures of special effects in cinema and the key mind behind the technological innovations of films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blade Runner, and most recently, The Tree of Life—and cowritten by Michael Cimino (The Deer Hunter, Heaven's Gate).

Silent Running, appropriately set in the year 2001, tells the story of a dedicated botanist (Bruce Dern) who tends to the last known plant life in existence aboard the Valley Forge, a large spaceship orbiting Saturn. When he's ordered to jettison his gardens, which are housed in massive geodesic domes, and return to Earth, he cuts all communication to his superiors, kills the four crew members keen on carrying out the orders, and enlists the help of three robots dubbed Huey, Louie, and Dewey to help him continue his research.

This environmentally minded film stresses the importance of ecological harmony, but it's also one of the great pieces of speculative fiction in the 20th century. In his original capsule review for the Reader, Dave Kehr said, "the film is enjoyable for its intimacy, seriousness, and intelligent character work." For a film that mostly centers on one guy and three robots, there is a surprising amount of nuance in the characterization, and thanks to the enclosed setting of the ship there's a palpable sense of intimacy—but I'm not sure what Kehr means when he praises the film's "seriousness." In my estimation, Silent Running is self-serious—Dern's bleeding-heart enthusiasm for his work is so sternly depicted that it quickly becomes comical—but, like all great speculative fiction, there's a satirical edge to the narrative.

In spurts, Silent Running outright mocks its main character: desperate for kinship after murdering his crewmates, Dern humanizes his robot compatriots by programming them to play poker, a sardonically scripted scenario not unlike something out of a Harlan Ellison story. An even bigger jab is thrown Dern's way when Dewey refuses to leave Louie's side after Louie is damaged in an accident. The compassion Dewey shows toward his fellow man—or in this case, robot—opposes the lack of compassion Dern showed for his own fellow man.

Ultimately, Silent Running might have more to say about the ways technology limits humanism than it does about botany, but plant life remains key to understanding the film. Dern's sprawling garden, framed by the emptiness of space and the cold industrialism of the ship, is the perfect aesthetic backdrop. It drives home the point that mankind is a product of nature, and that nature must be preserved in the face of man-made destruction. The film's final scene, which I won't detail here in order to avoid those pesky spoilers, is one of my personal favorites in all of sci-fi cinema, one that is tastefully evoked in the Pixar film Wall-E, another story about the necessity of nature for the success of humanity.

-chicagoreader.com

SILENT RUNNING.....soundtrack medley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=uJ ... =endscreen

=)

-Aldous Huxley
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

I think the best solution would be to start a new thread. This goes back to the same problem we had before. The board removed some users by mistake thinking they were spam accounts (still not sure how that happened) and, as a result, old threads those users posted in got damaged when their posts were deleted. This must have been one of the affected threads. Just start a new thread and this one will stay up as an archive.