A review of Pegasus Continuum

LOVE was another great band from the 60's and of course VERY Doors related.
I think it would be great to have this special topic about the band who was such a big example for The Doors.

Moderator: The Freedom Man

silentseason

A review of Pegasus Continuum

Post by silentseason »

After a long while I was finally able to obtain a copy of Pegasus Continuum, and just finished reading it. Here are a few thought's about it.

-Since this is THE Doors forum, if you haven't read it and were wondering if there was much Doors-related stories, there were not. In fact other than one instance, there were no Doors information or stories to impart. Michael did bring up an interesting subject in that it was odd that since they were from the same location and the only two rock acts on Elektra that they didn't interact more, or help out on each others recording sessions. I could have definitely seen where maybe Kenny could have contributed bass of the first Doors albums, or Ray keyboards on FC. But for whatever reason, they operated independently of each other, and I think we lost a great opportunity for some great music.

-The book doesn't give a straightforward documentation like Einerson's, more of selected memories from Michael. Sometimes I think it helped the book, and sometimes I think it hindered it.

-In typical Michael fashion it was very "real" and honest, not some put on story designed to be a "tell-all" or make money. It was written, I think, with the intention to give the readers a taste of what LoVE was, both the good and the bad.

-Snoopy surprisingly to me came out as more sympathetic of all the band members. Arthur unfortunately came across and really unlikeable at times.

-Most interesting parts for me were how Michael finally gave up music professionally and the reason's why, and the jobs he undertook. Very sad about his last encounter with Kenny.

-Two items about the FC sessions: I found it telling that he didn't name Bruce Botnick as the engineer or list any of the other Elektra exec's by name. I also would love to have heard the rolling tape for the first day's session that captured all the band dialogue. Probably long lost or destroyed.

-All in all a good read. Recommend it if you can get it.
You set the scene