Live in Boston - Reviews

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

Hello...This is your friendly disc jockey, Honest John. Would everybody please leave by the side exits only. Do not use the back exits, the way you came in. The reason is that people are lined up outside for all around 14 blocks, so the front doors are kind of jammed. So please use the side exits only. The side exits. Thank you, and goodnight.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Some think that noise during SOF is a mastering error, but it's not. It's present on the multi track.
doorman

Post by doorman »

BrysonK wrote:Hello...This is your friendly disc jockey, Honest John. Would everybody please leave by the side exits only. Do not use the back exits, the way you came in. The reason is that people are lined up outside for all around 14 blocks, so the front doors are kind of jammed. So please use the side exits only. The side exits. Thank you, and goodnight.
14 blocks...now that's a stretch
samiam236

Post by samiam236 »

Hello...This is your friendly disc jockey, Honest John. Would everybody please leave by the side exits only. Do not use the back exits, the way you came in. The reason is that people are lined up outside for all around 14 blocks, so the front doors are kind of jammed. So please use the side exits only. The side exits. Thank you, and goodnight.
Where is this?
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

It's after LMF on the early set. They decided to leave it off the official release.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Here's some pics from the booklet and inside jacket.

universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

could anyone please post the credits page?...haven`t received it yet so I`m just curious.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:Image
hey, thanks man...thanks for the small preview, the photos are looking good as well!
cutis

Post by cutis »

I enjoy both shows immensely. My only real complaint is my wish that the band performed songs such as Peace Frog, Waiting for the Sun and/or Queen of the Highway. A few more songs from the MH album would have made this concert "perfect" for my ears, drunk Jimbo and all!

Five to One in the early show is a joy to listen to. After listening to it performed the same way at so many other shows it's a pleasure to hear the song played differently, with a distracted Jim and the band jamming along, finding it's way until they and Jim find themselves again to conclude the number.

I enjoy You Make Me Real. Jim's voice is raw and lousy but the tune rocks nevertheless. The late show is definitely the more fun of the two shows. A great jamming BOT, with Jim allowing Robbie to solo more than he usually would towards the end of the song until Jim finally joins in on the last verse. I love it!

Train Jam is fantastic! Very upbeat performance by the band and Jim is thrilled to the point of yelling out to the audience to dance along with him. This is a great version. It's my new fav of all of the train jams I've heard, even surpassing Phily train which I think is the most "perfectly" performed version without any flubs. Boston has flubs but it has more excitement.

For me, the only downer of the show is as follows: Ray on guitar on this version of BDSL is pretty bad and Robby on bass doesn't help much since they both lose each other and don't gel well. When they finally get the chance to speed it up, then the power gets cut which is a shame as it was just starting to sound good once they got moving.

Otherwise, what a great Doors historical artifact. When the power gets cut it just makes the Doors stand out even more as a great band from the era. How many other rock bands found themselves performing and the management cuts the power cause the band went "overtime?" Did this happen alot? What other bands encountered this situation?

If anything, Boston serves as another great example of how the Doors seem to challenge the "powers that be" more so than other bands at that time (a sloshed Jimbo certainly helped). I give the Boston release four stars out of five!
samiam236

Post by samiam236 »

Anyone know what song they were about to start when the power was cut?
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

samiam236 wrote:Anyone know what song they were about to start when the power was cut?
Roadhouse Blues (Reprise)

They played it in Philadelphia after Maggie M'Gill as well.
Reality is a temporary illusion brought on by the absence of beer.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

For the Boston lovers, sit back and listen to what a great performance sounds like, i.e Matrix, Singer Bowl, Stockholm, Roundhouse when the band is firing on all cylinders..then tell me Boston is still the best show/release you've ever heard. Boston is one of the lowest points of the 1970 tour. If I had to sit and listen to a drunk ass Morrison and a band that had no idea what they were going to play or would happen next, then give me Cleveland '68. If I'm going to rate a show on Jim's dialog, at least he was more entertaining in Cleveland.
samiam236

Post by samiam236 »

Roadhouse Blues (Reprise)

They played it in Philadelphia after Maggie M'Gill as well.
Thanks!!!

I see the similarities now!
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Dan, can you post more pics of the album? i still dont recieve my album!
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I just saw copies of this at Wal-Mart, of all places.
sullen and aborted

Post by sullen and aborted »

Those Speaker cabinets which Vince Treanor built appear to be too heavy to carry around these days. A few years later, they were sold to Fanny. They tried to locate the current location of these cabinets when that Oliver Stone film got made. Does anybody out there know what Fanny did with these cabinets when they broke up?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

He meant Danny (Sugerman).
Probably sold off for drugs.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Just brought to my attention about yet another edit. During the beginning of SOF Jim does a little burp, false start thingy...well it's not on the official release?

"Warts and all"..mmhmm
Crown Royal

Post by Crown Royal »

wha happened wrote:Just brought to my attention about yet another edit. During the beginning of SOF Jim does a little burp, false start thingy...well it's not on the official release?

"Warts and all"..mmhmm
Yep, just heard it on the audience recording. (10-11 seconds in)

Warts and all my ass.
:roll:
Reality is a temporary illusion brought on by the absence of beer.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Yeah I've noticed that too. And that's completely silent, you can't even slightly hear it.
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

cutis

Post by cutis »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:A brief review from SFgate.com

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 638D78.DTL
I'm glad Boston seems to be getting positive reviews, overall. I think it serves the Doors well for any future additional releases on the Bright Midnight label.
DalloLama

Review

Post by DalloLama »

Boston finally arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

Fantastic packaging!

I have most of the shows out there and all the fans on the LL who think Boston is "the best release yet" are very sad indeed.

Jim isn't as loaded as I thought (heard far worse), moments of brilliance from both him and the lads, but overall it's an interesting listen and nothing more.

There are other shows which should have been released before this one. Surely performances like this would hurt future sales of BMR?
cutis

Re: Review

Post by cutis »

Not necessarily. You also have to understand that it was Danny's wishes to see that a show like Boston get released. He wanted to show "all sides" of Jim. Yes, Boston is not a great performance by the Doors and Jim sings terribly. And if New York had been ready to go I would have been all in favor of releasing the Felt Forum shows before Boston. But Boston was essentially done and Felt Forum is going to take a lot more work on Botnick's part to get ready for any kind of commercial release.

So, in the end, Boston has more historical importance than anything else. It's not a series of shows I'd play often but I'm glad to have it to listen whenever I please.
DalloLama wrote:Boston finally arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

Fantastic packaging!

I have most of the shows out there and all the fans on the LL who think Boston is "the best release yet" are very sad indeed.

Jim isn't as loaded as I thought (heard far worse), moments of brilliance from both him and the lads, but overall it's an interesting listen and nothing more.

There are other shows which should have been released before this one. Surely performances like this would hurt future sales of BMR?
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I hate the digi pak. It looks ok, but it is not practical at all. I wish they'd pick one type of packaging and stick with it. It would look much neater on your CD shelf. But after the first few releases each has been different. What was the point of that official poll asking what type of package WE wanted? I thought the majority wanted a jewel case? It would have looked very nice in a thick jewel case with a fold out reproduction concert poster. For the people that say, you're not being careful with the digi pak, well bullshit because my BMA Sampler looks worn on the very edges and spine and I NEVER open it or use it. My D21c digi paks are falling apart and I never listen to those either. They're all on a shelf, I take care of my things.

RE: Felt Forum...methinks 7-8 yrs since BMA's conception was plenty of time for BB to review and know exactly what's there or not there, where to find it, if it's lost forever and any problems with the actual recordings. This last minute..uh oh there's a tech problem with Pittsburgh is a joke.
cutis

Post by cutis »

wha happened wrote:
RE: Felt Forum...methinks 7-8 yrs since BMA's conception was plenty of time for BB to review and know exactly what's there or not there, where to find it, if it's lost forever and any problems with the actual recordings. This last minute..uh oh there's a tech problem with Pittsburgh is a joke.

In all honestly, cleaning up Doors recordings is not on the high priority list for BB. He does so much more now doing sound for movies and other projects.

Even though BB gets paid very well by the doors for each project he undertakes, I don't think he considers the Doors a priority for him anymore.

I doubt there is anything wrong with Pittsburgh. I'm sure it's a scheduling conflict and BB is not making the time to do Pittsburgh in time for a Christmas release.
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

I wish they would outsource some of this editing to other people. Some of the best studio mixes of the doors have come from people other than Bruce. Nothing against the guy, but i just don't see eye to eye on some of his recent mixes..
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

I'm happy to have these Boston shows. The late show is better than I was expecting, but for some reason I haven't listened to them alot so far.

IMO Philly would have been a much better release if it was complete, with the dialogue. Like 'Hey Philadelphia, do you feel alright' being cut I think affects the overall listening experience, and for me, that's the best part of BMA: the complete concert.