How about an unedited Hollywood Bowl soundtrack?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

antero

Post by antero »

LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE wrote:Of course everyone knows the Hollywood Bowl video concert, but remember this 22 minute album (more like EP) that was released in September 1987:

1) Wake Up - 1:40
2) Light My Fire - 8:15
3) Unknown Soldier - 4:23
4) A Little Game - 1:22
5) The Hill Dwellers - 2:20
6) Spanish Caravan - 1:19
7) Light My Fire (edit of live version)

This Hollywood Bowl album has long been out of print
I have it in CD and Vinyl aswell! =)
glenn

Post by glenn »

antero wrote: I have it in CD and Vinyl aswell! =)
CD and (formerly) cassette here. This one was probably released late enough to avoid the 8-track cartridge treatment :wink:
When I was a kid, we used to put pennies on the tracks and watch them get smashed.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

glenn wrote:
antero wrote: I have it in CD and Vinyl aswell! =)
CD and (formerly) cassette here. This one was probably released late enough to avoid the 8-track cartridge treatment :wink:
I also proudly own a vinyl copy =)
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

CD, vinyl, and rare double-vinyl promo set :mrgreen:
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

jim4371 wrote:CD, vinyl, and rare double-vinyl promo set :mrgreen:
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

cd , vinyl, cassette, and 7 inch picture sleeve single
I also have the 40th anniversary blueray edition dvd, complete show with backstage fooatge and interviews.
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
antero

Post by antero »

anytimecowboy wrote:I also have the 40th anniversary blueray edition dvd, complete show with backstage fooatge and interviews.
Blu-Ray with backstage footage? please point me into the correct direction with this release.
antero

Post by antero »

jim4371 wrote: rare double-vinyl promo set :mrgreen:
what's this? could you post some info or pics.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

antero wrote:
anytimecowboy wrote:I also have the 40th anniversary blueray edition dvd, complete show with backstage fooatge and interviews.
Blu-Ray with backstage footage? please point me into the correct direction with this release.
Safe to say this was a joke, Antero. Sarcasm doesn't always travel well across forum posts.
Unless your post was also a joke. In which case, I've proved my point.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Porsche wrote: Unless your post was also a joke. In which case, I've proved my point.
There are perks to being a mod, namely strategic post deletion and banning so that no one will ever know...
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

jim4371 wrote:There are perks to being a mod, namely strategic post deletion and banning so that no one will ever know...
I'm not sure I get this. No big deal. I'll just delete it.
jim4371 who?

:twisted:

Nah, we save that treatment for people like Stuart. Which reminds me, I edited and re-opened the "Hope Over Fear" thread so it's now an ignorance-free reading experience.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

I'll be right over to start posting about how Bush is a terrorist (in all caps, of course) just to make it feel like home.
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

antero wrote:
This sounds interesting. Since it was double vinyl, that means each side had 1 or 2 songs max.

jim4371, can you give us some more info on that double vinyl and/or post some pics?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE wrote:
antero wrote:
This sounds interesting. Since it was double vinyl, that means each side had 1 or 2 songs max.

jim4371, can you give us some more info on that double vinyl and/or post some pics?
I think the 2nd disc is an interview with Ray by John Tobler.
I'm out and I have it packed away so no pics, Kerry might have one.
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

yes Antero Im afraid it was sarcasm, apologies, if only it were true.

Ive tried to get that double vinyl on ebay many times, it is an interview with Ray.
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Forget about the soundtrack. What they should do is release the complete show on Blu-Ray with a new mix. I'd like to see them use only the original HB vocals even if they weren't recorded well (i.e no flying in vocals from the Aquarius, etc), drop the digital reverb, include HILY and the Spanish Caravan intro, drop the corny exploding Doors logo intro and include alternate angles as a bonus. The HB show is well shot and recorded. The current version does not do the material justice.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

:roll:
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

The audio of HILY and SC is fine. The video however may not even be usable. This is what rokritr mentioned earlier in this thread based on what Frank Lisciandro discussed with him:
rokritr wrote: they were only planning on filming the last three songs, he also spent time throughout the show shooting still photos and he even went backstage at one point (where he ran into Jagger during the actual concert). That is the reason for the lack of footage for "Hello, I Love You" and the beginning of "Spanish Caravan." It simply was not shot by Frank and it may have only been captured by Paul's glitchy camera and thus un-usable.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

HIGH-TECH MAGIC CUTS CLUTTER IN OLD RECORDS
Jonathan Takiff, Chicago Tribune
July 10, 1987

Thanks to advances in high-tech wizardry, audio recordings long considered irretrievably damaged are rising from the dead, reborn in an amazingly pristine, full-fidelity fashion.

A case in point is the never-seen-before filmed performance of "The Doors: Live at the Hollywood Bowl," set for Thursday release by MCA Home Video on VHS Hi-Fi and Beta Hi-Fi tape at $24.95. A riveting piece of music history, this 65-minute tape captures America's darkest, most dramatic progressive rock band of the 1960s in prime form, working through now-classics such as "When the Music's Over," "Alabama Song" ("Whiskey Bar"), "Back Door Man," "The Unknown Soldier" and extended versions of "Light My Fire" and "The End."

"Until recently, we thought this video could never be released," said the Doors' longtime sound engineer and music director Paul Rothchild. "The first 23 minutes of the audio track were so loaded with microphone click and sputter noises you couldn't bear to listen to it."

While the Doors--escapees from the UCLA film school--were the most media- savvy, tech-wise group of their day, front man Jim Morrison had unintentionally spoiled the July 5, 1968, concert recording. "He walked out on stage and saw four movie cameras focusing on him," Rothchild recalls. "Then he saw that his voice mike was covered with a large foam pop filter, which obscured his face when he held it close to his mouth. So right off, Jim grabbed the mike wire with one hand and ripped off the pop filter with the other. In the process he disturbed the internal connections.

"There were two lead wires inside the mike. One fed the house sound system and the other went to the recording truck. Ironically, he only disturbed the recording truck feed. That's why we couldn't figure out where the problem was, because the house sound was perfect. We checked 100 different connections, before the problem finally righted itself."

The recording sat on the shelf for almost 18 years, until Rothchild and co-engineer Bruce Botnick heard about a new process called "No-Noise," developed by a fledgling San Francisco-based company, Sonic Solutions. "We sent them the worst 2 minutes of the Doors recording we had," said Rothchild. "I was extremely skeptical. But the processed version they sent back was absolutely flawless, a perfectly restored Morrison vocal with no extraneous artifacts and in perfect synch with the picture. It was a minor miracle."

Actually, No-Noise is a marvel of computer programming, building on the digital error-correction circuitry integral to every compact disc player. For each second of the denoising process, more than 53 million computations are performed. And to preserve the music's full fidelity, the sound is analyzed and filtered as more than 1,000 separate frequency bands.

The processor is fed a digitally mastered dub of the original material and is programmed to be on the lookout for hiss, clicks or signal reconstruction. When the sound scrubber comes to a spurt of unwanted noise, it identifies each side of the flaw and removes it. At the same time, the computer analyzes the sound that came just before and after the noise, averages these findings and drops a precisely matched slug of waveform into the empty slot. The end product is uninterrrupted sound without the dullness, shrillness or graininess associated with other noise eliminators.

Since the successful commercial debut of its technology with the Doors project, Sonic Solutions has been flooded with work, mostly for critical compact-disc transfers, reports marketing vice president Mary Sauer. No-Noise has been applied to a 50th anniversary CD collection of Andrews Sisters recordings for MCA, John Mayall's "Turning Point" for Polygram, Barbra Streisand's "Stoney End" and "Barbra Joan Streisand" albums for CBS, a Liberace collection for MCA, the Grateful Dead's "Live Dead" for Warner Brothers, Paul Horn's "Inside" for Rykodisc, a Louis Armstrong collection for RCA and Volume 1 of "The Disney Collection" for Disney Records.

The latter project--cleaning up movie soundtrack classics such as "Whistle While You Work" and "When You Wish Upon a Star," is now inspiring film studios to test the No-Noise process. "It's a natural for transferring older, hissy optical movie soundtracks to Hi-Fi videotape," said Sauer.

Rothchild and Botnick are now using the technology sparingly in the preparation of new digital masters of the Doors' six studio albums, for release on Elektra compact disc on Sept. 15. A new, audiophile-quality two- disc "The Best of The Doors," previously available only as an import, already is reaching stores.

The new releases will show a "remarkable improvement in all three formats--CD, black vinyl disc and audiocassette tape," promised Rothchild.
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Removing the Static From Old Recordings
Lawrence M. Fisher, New York Times
December 21, 1988

A small San Francisco company, Sonic Solutions, has applied digital signal processing technology and artificial intelligence computer programming techniques to create a new system that takes noise out of old recordings.

The system's most enthusiastic users say it can cut the background interference out of a recording without harming the original work itself. Using artificial intelligence, it can even reconstruct short pieces of missing music.

Ever since Edison first recorded sound on a wax cylinder, engineers have sought to make recordings free of noise. Over the years, such new technology as Dolby noise reduction and digital recording has steadily made recordings clearer and more realistic.

But removing noise from existing recordings remained problematical. Techniques ranging from cutting a click or pop from a tape with a razor blade to electronically filtering out the hiss all removed some of the music along with the offending noise.

The new system, dubbed ''NoNoise'' by its inventors at Sonic Solutions, employs two processes, one to remove brief noise like clicks, and another to remove steady noise like tape hiss, guitar amplifier hum or air-conditioners. If requested by a customer, the system can also provide digital equalization, to boost or de-emphasize certain freqencies.

While still in prototype form, NoNoise was used to resurrect a long-lost recording and film of the Doors playing at the Hollywood Bowl in July 1968. Because of a faulty microphone cord, much of Jim Morrison's lead vocal was nearly obliterated by loud clicks and crunching sounds.

''I sent them a digital tape and in three weeks they sent us back a digital tape and it was glorious,'' said Bruce Botnick, co-engineer of the Doors' recording and now president of Digital Magnetics Inc., which makes master recordings for compact disks. ''We wound up saving 12 minutes of the show that would have been unusable.'' Since then, Mr. Botnick has used NoNoise to reconstruct many old master recordings. ''It is quite an elegant process,'' he said.

The NoNoise system is used primarily to remaster old recordings for release on compact disks because customers have come to expect that medium to be noise-free regardless of the original material's age or condition. The system has been used to remaster such artists as Ravel conducting the Bolero in 1932; ''Live Dead and Europe 72'' by the Grateful Dead; the Andrews Sisters, and Andres Segovia. It has also been used for forensic work, rendering a taped murder conversation audible above background noise.

The process begins by making a digital tape recording of the original master, whether it is on tape, film or an old 78 r.p.m. record. The digital audio data are then loaded onto a large-capacity computer disk drive, which is coupled with a computer work station. Sonic Solutions' original system ran on a Sun Microsystems work station, but is now being adapted for use with Apple Computer's Mac II, which is less costly and easier to use.

For de-clicking, the system reconstructs the problem portion of the recording by analyzing the content before and after the click, and interpolating the portion in between. Since the duration of the click is short, the process can sample enough of the surrounding material to make plausible guesses about the portion hidden by the noise.

Removing steady noise, like hiss, is a longer process. The system first samples the noise at 2,000 points in the frequency spectrum, creating a sonic fingerprint used to differentiate between noise and signal. Tests are then run to determine the maximum level of noise reduction possible without altering content. More than 53 million computations are performed to clean up one second of material; to clean up the master for a typical compact disk, the computer runs all night.

The process relies on both software and hardware developed by Sonic Solutions. A proprietary circuit board with four Motorola digital signal processors, disk controllers and additional memory chips handles all the intense computation, leaving the Macintosh's own processor to control the screen display, keyboard and mouse.

Robert Doris, Sonic Solutions' president, founded the company with James (Andy) Moorer and Mary Sauer; all were formerly with the Droid Works, a subsidiary of Lucasfilm Ltd.

Sonic's system would not be possible without Motorola's digital signal processors. Like the Motorola 68020 microprocessor at the heart of the Macintosh, Motorola's 56001 is essentially a computer on a chip. But it is optimized for certain intense kinds of computations rather than the general purpose input and output functions of a standard microprocessor.

Digital signal processors are extremely fast and can process several tasks at once. In addition to sound processing, they are used for the kind of intense number crunching necessary in high-speed modems, high-quality facsimile machines and technical computing applications.

The 56001 is unique among digital signal processors in that it processes information in 24-bit word lengths rather than the 16-bit standard in digital audio. This was essential to NoNoise because adding any kind of processing to the 16-bit information creates the need for more bits. ''In the studio you need a lot of margin so that when you end up with 16 bits on the CD, they are 16 good bits,'' said Mr. Moorer, Sonic's technical director. ''You need at least 4 to 6 bits of margin for the inevitable error.''

Since completing the prototype system in mid-1987, Sonic Solutions has functioned as a kind of dry cleaner for recordings, taking in record companies' master tapes and cleaning them of noise. The charge is $103 per minute of material, with volume discounts available. Now it is entering the systems business by repackaging the Mac II with the Sonic board and software, and high-capacity hard disk drives, allowing the record companies to do their own no-noise processing.

''Since we never claimed to be mastering engineers, the value of NoNoise is greater when it's embedded in a system like this,'' which allows recording engineers to exercise their own judgment in using the process, Mr. Doris said. Sonic's Desktop Audio system allows an engineer to perform mixing, editing, equalization and mastering tasks all in the digital mode, all on a hard disk, which is substantially quicker and easier than doing them manually on tape. With one disk drive, the basic system sells for $44,100; the NoNoise software is an additional $60,000.

For MCA Records Inc., a test site, making master recordings for compact disks with the Sonic system has saved time and maintenance costs on its digital tape decks, said Gene Wooley, vice president of recording and quality assurance. By using the NoNoise function in the work station, rather than sending tapes out to be cleaned, engineers can hear exactly how much noise reduction to use, and determine when some tone control may be necessary to restore old deteriorated recordings, he said.

And because the system also provides a visual representation of the sound spectrum, ''you can optically compare, and see that you have restored, not altered, the equalization or intent of the original,'' Mr. Wooley said. With extended use, he has found that NoNoise is best when used in moderation.

While it is possible to remove all the noise from an old 78, the result sounds unnatural, so Mr. Wooley leaves some noise in. ''It's like restoring an old piece of art,'' he said. ''You don't just strip all the accumulated dirt and grime of 500 years off and assume what you have left is the natural colors.''

While some articles in the audio press have said the NoNoise system removes high frequencies and detail, Mr. Wooley said that was the result of misuse by audio engineers. ''If one really works with it and knows how to use it, it's wonderful,'' he said. ''In the hands of someone inexperienced, it's dangerous.''

REMOVING THE CLICKS AND HISSES: A snippet from the audio track of Jim Morrison and the Doors' July 1968 performance of ''When the Music's Over'' at the Hollywood Bowl is depicted as two wave forms above. The lower wave form shows two clicks and a dropout in the word ''waitin'' caused by faulty equipment at the concert. In the upper wave form, a computer system has removed the interference and reconstructed the missing music by sampling music on either side of the interference. The photo of Mr. Morrison is from the MCA Home Video ''The Doors, Live at the Hollywood Bowl.'' The concert soundtrack was cleaned up for the video.
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Thanks for sharing those. the details of the clicks & dropouts is awesome seeing their comparison ...