Anyone want to guess what they next BMR release is?

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Peanut gallery? :lol: is this about LL's biggest suck up?
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

TheDoorsMusic wrote:Not part of MySpace. But, whenever I think of Pats Radio, I think of eww..

I was talking about the chick with the marijuana leaves covering her privates!
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

dj_vera wrote:
TheDoorsMusic wrote:Not part of MySpace. But, whenever I think of Pats Radio, I think of eww..

I was talking about the chick with the marijuana leaves covering her privates!
She doesn't need large leaves anyway.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Haha, you're mean! :P

But let's get back on topic! I think Jeff is probably mind-fucking with us about the release being from '70. It has to be Matrix! It'd be a really slight chance if it turned out to be something we don't know about.
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

dj_vera wrote:Haha, you're mean! :P

But let's get back on topic! I think Jeff is probably mind-fucking with us about the release being from '70. It has to be Matrix! It'd be a really slight chance if it turned out to be something we don't know about.
:lol: sorry about that. First reaction, I'm sure she is a nice girl.

Jeff is hyping it up. But I hope it wont be a let down. :?
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

My guess is Vancouver. I don't consider this is show a let down. I would prefer a 1967-68 show but I'm afraid that once again the new release will not be from this period.

For now everything is speculation and coincidence or not Jeff has some role in this situation. It's OK for comercial reasons and I guess most of us enjoy the mistery...

So what are the possibilies that have been proposed? I don't know if I miss one but the list is:

Matrix 1967,
Fillmore 1967,
Hollywood Bowl 1968,
Stockholm 1968,
Isle of Wight 1970,
Honolulu 1970,
Baltimore 1970,
Vancouver 1970,

and... a wierd one:
Fresno 1968

Not bad.

For fun I set up this map of all the shows from 1970. I guess it's complete and please indulge me if some mistakes were made in spotting the cities.

Looking to this map and the dates that have been recorded (I took Jim4371's list posted at the LL) I wonder why they didn't recorded Columbus and Baltimore shows?

Could these be a possibility. Long forgotten and recently found?

Jeff places this show in his 3 favourite ones. I admit it is strange if we are talking about Vancouver or Hollywood Bowl. It makes sense if it is Matrix...

Yes my friends we got some mistery here...

To solve at the end of September =)
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Originally they had intended to record Cleveland but that apparently never happened.
I kinda doubt they recorded anything else, or they would have used it on Absolutely Live.
It's possible to forget that you recorded something 40 years later but not a month.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Yes, you're right.
Also, probably, these were not great shows...

I've been re-reading the articles (I believe you're the one that post them here :) ) I have about those shows and the band seemed not get much response from the audience. Plus, the setlist must have been very similar to Pitts, Phily, etc. Most interesting, I don't know if you remember it but the guy that wrote the article (Dick Wooten) said the band was recording the show!
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Yes that's what he had been told in advance by the promoters.
Doesn't mean he would have known the difference looking at the stage setup.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

I don't see it being Hawaii or the Fillmore since these are commercial releases and the quality on those are inferior. Would John sign off on a recording where he can barely be heard?
Fresno wasn't recorded. That info from the Sampler (Live In Amercia) was a typo by Bruce. Both Danny and Bruce were asked about that when the Sampler first came out and they said it was a mistake. No other shows were recorded by the band for the live album. Bruce said so himself. He also said the mobile recording truck cost a lot to rent and had to be driven from city to city. So looking back, Baltimore would have made sense since it was part of the series of shows that were recorded. However, the truck had to be driven from Philly to Pittsburgh to Detroit then all the way back to Baltimore, so they decided against it. They probably also felt they had enough material on tape up to that point.
Paul Rothchild was the keeper of the Doors archive until he died, he knew exactly which shows were recorded. He never mentioned anything other than the shows we all know about. He let copies out to a select few. Those people have the shows we all know about. Two other managers before Danny let copies of live shows and outtakes out to close friends, once again, no "surprise" shows that we don't know about. The Doors live archive is very very small, it's a shame they didn't start recording during the '68 tour.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

I only brought up Fresno because Bruce mentioned it again on a radio show this year when he started listing off recordings they had that weren't AL tapes.
Here's the clip: http://www.sendspace.com/file/gtnjfn

I suppose Bruce could be making the same error he made in 2001, or he could be thinking of a different show and calling it Fresno out of habit. But he wasn't thinking of Bakersfield because he lists it along with Fresno. He also mentions Vancouver and Seattle saying they "will be coming out." But if they release Seattle, they damn well better release Bakersfield.
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Thanks a lot for creating that clip for us Len.

Yeah judging by the way he said it, I think he just fucked up. He alluded all of the shows being recorded by Treanor, and we know they didn't perform in Fresno in '70. Bakersfield and Fresno are in the Central California area (although about 100 miles apart), so every time Bruce mentions Bakersfield, Fresno probably comes to mind as well for some grossly impulsive reason.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Yes, thanks Len. Interesting thing, all this recurrent mistake.

I know it's probably an idiot idea and wha happened already said to me that Jeff's was looking for the original concert poster intending to include it in the new Doors documentary but, couldn't this show turned out to be Madison Square Garden 1969?

I mean, I remember The Doors made their "premiere" on this big arena at January 24, 1969. This was a personal bet from the band's manager Bill Siddons even after some different opinions from people like Bill Graham. I don't know but for me it doesn't sound stupid they wanted to record it.

Also, Jeff said they had found some tapes that would impact FF release. Another wild speculation: maybe the newly found tapes were not (at least all of them) impacting directly FF. Maybe there was some dubious catalogation of the tapes and some of them turned out to be the 1969 show. The FF forum shows were also January but... 1970.

And yes wha happened, Paul Rotschild was surely the person that for long time was the most devoted keeper of the Doors tapes. Among other reasons, we should have always to be grateful to him because he preserved those treasures but even him might have done some confusion.

I know it may just add some unnecessary dust to this topic but I have to admit that it is fun to do all this conjectures...
Last edited by Silver Forest on Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Definitely not MSG, not recorded either. The poster art for MSG was for the documentary. The reason FF was delayed was because of all the cuts on the masters. Songs, dialog, parts of songs are cut and Bruce needs to find them. Jeff knows how much we complained about other sections from Philly, Pittsburgh and Boston that were missing, can you imagine if they released the FF shows and an entire song was over looked?
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Oh man, there goes another beautiful theory :lol:
That would be tremendous as the setlist was amazing with songs never heard live in SB quality.

And with a bad FF release I guess Jeff would feel something like:

I believe all Doors fans have their eyes on FF box. There's no perspective (with the exception of Matrix) of a better Doors concert relase than FF.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

I can see it now:

"We thought fans would appreciate having the 18th Late Show on 1 disc, so we cut out some of the blues songs most fans wouldn't be familiar with and wouldn't miss. For the hardcores, don't worry, we'll be posting the missing tracks that the band approve of in the downloads section when it opens. In the meantime, head on over to Starbucks where you can get an iTunes card for a free Doors song from Perception with every tenth latte!"

Heh.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Porsche wrote:I can see it now:

"We thought fans would appreciate having the 18th Late Show on 1 disc, so we cut out some of the blues songs most fans wouldn't be familiar with and wouldn't miss. For the hardcores, don't worry, we'll be posting the missing tracks that the band approve of in the downloads section when it opens. In the meantime, head on over to Starbucks where you can get an iTunes card for a free Doors song from Perception with every tenth latte!"

Heh.

lol
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Porsche wrote:I can see it now:

Heh.
Shit I hope Jeff doesn't read this. He might have a brainstorm!
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

:lol:
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Jeff was right, it's not from '70 or the A-L tour. Also not an unheard show which isn't a shocker. Hopefully it's not a compilation and hopefully they acquired the masters this time. :wink:
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

Yeah, I'm worried that Botnick would fuck the Matrix stuff up. I bet he would fold the stereo spread in and add reverb. Maybe not though.

I'm told Peter Abrhams is a bit of a nutter. Universal tried to get his Velvet Underground 4 tracks and he was way out there. Abrahams sampler of his VU material did leak and it sounds amazing. Isn't there a Doors Matrix sampler from the masters out there?

I'm thinking the next BMR would have to be Vancouver or a comp of Vince's recordings. What else could it be?
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

wha happened wrote:Jeff was right, it's not from '70 or the A-L tour. Also not an unheard show which isn't a shocker. Hopefully it's not a compilation and hopefully they acquired the masters this time. :wink:
Stockholm '68?
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Chris M wrote:I'm thinking the next BMR would have to be Vancouver or a comp of Vince's recordings. What else could it be?
No, it's the Matrix. Looking like a compilation also. Try to convince Jeff that's NOT a good idea.

1. They better be from the best possible source

2. NO edits
Chris M

Post by Chris M »

wha happened wrote:
Chris M wrote:I'm thinking the next BMR would have to be Vancouver or a comp of Vince's recordings. What else could it be?
No, it's the Matrix. Looking like a compilation also. Try to convince Jeff that's NOT a good idea.

2. NO edits
Wow. I figured that with the numerous attempts of releasing that material that backfired they wouldn't try it again. Oh, well.

Do you think it will present an upgrade over what circulates? Any idea if they have a cassette copy or is it a reel to reel? Hopefully it's not a cassette. A properly dubbed 1:1 copy off the master would be extremely difficult to distinguish from the master.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

wha happened wrote:

2. NO edits
Oh! :shock: Oh!
Let's hope not...

It would be a superb release if your 2 points are being taken in account.
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

I'm not happy about this. I was hoping it would be a show we didn't have. If nothing else, I hope they at least have some photos from the Matrix shows we haven't seen. There don't seem to be that many.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Well, looks like they are using the tapes they were going to use last time. And they are incomplete. Thanks Jeff. Ok, their copy doesn't have everything (riiight), they could easily get one of the 100 Matrix bootlegs and get the songs they don't have. The sound quality wouldn't match, but at least the shows would be complete. The Doors drop the ball again. I guess Peter is getting fucked over again also.
The Doors WOULD have the best source and it WOULD be complete if they worked out a deal with P.A. Well we always have the remasters Chris did. :D
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Not a big deal. If it were an unheard recording or one not previously available in good quality, it would be a different story. Casual fans will be happy not having duplicate tracks. Others will mix it in with the missing tracks they already have on bootleg.
Last edited by BallroomDays67 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

We've been waiting years to hear Botnick work on these shows. It would've been nice to have him at least work on the complete tapes. And Jampol's excuse -- "this is all we have" -- is ridiculous. Wha and I just posted similar messages at nearly the same time on the LL (uncoordinated) because we both can't believe how this long-awaited set is being (mis)handled. Why didn't the band reach out to collectors to make sure they had the best/most complete copies? This isn't some audience banter that's missing like the Pitts and Philly releases but an entire CD's worth of songs. There's nothing wrong with a compilation release, but why at the expense of the complete recordings that are so easily available? It flies in the face of BMA's entire plan to release uncut shows. Maybe not a "disaster" of a release because the Matrix material already circulates in very good quality, but it's certainly disappointing. And what does this entail for possible future releases? Just release what you have at hand even if it's incomplete? Doesn't bode well for the Felt Forum shows.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I would hope that this is a unique situation and they know not to consider something like this with any other shows. That would be an unmitigated disaster. You're right, though. These are likely the best live Doors recordings we'll ever hear, and they should have gone to any length to release them in whole.