Isle of Wight Filming

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Thank you.
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

With the way The Doors currently seem to operate, it will be a shock if anything more than the Felt Forum box set is released from the archives in 2009. And it won't be surprising if it becomes a 4th quarter release.

With regards to material that requires deals to be made such as IOW and Stockholm, it appears that those projects will continue to linger in never-ending holding patterns.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

midnightx wrote:With the way The Doors currently seem to operate, it will be a shock if anything more than the Felt Forum box set is released from the archives in 2009. And it won't be surprising if it becomes a 4th quarter release.

With regards to material that requires deals to be made such as IOW and Stockholm, it appears that those projects will continue to linger in never-ending holding patterns.
wait , the doors management have the FF master tapes ?Is it confirmed that they will release it within 2009?
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

lizardkingteo wrote:
midnightx wrote:With the way The Doors currently seem to operate, it will be a shock if anything more than the Felt Forum box set is released from the archives in 2009. And it won't be surprising if it becomes a 4th quarter release.

wait , the doors management have the FF master tapes ?Is it confirmed that they will release it within 2009?
Did I miss something? What are you asking? They sure have the masters. The problem is that apparently these tapes are chopped and require a lot of work. Hopefully they will do a competent reconstruction. :roll:
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

Yes i didnt know maybe they were on some kind of deal with a company who had them !jut like with IOW (sony)
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

wha happened

Posted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lovemygirl wrote:
sometime ago on the LL Jeff said this ain't so, "Expect this when we get a complete Matrix release from the original tapes." meaning sooner than later....but i'm just going by what i've heard thru the grapevine....i think it will be released in 2009, just a guess...

How much do you want to bet? Grapevine eh? I heard it directly from the grower.

What else has Jeff said? they have the Matrix masters and we don't know what we're talking about, no more Best Of's, Perception was going to be limited, but he didn't say it was only the original packaging that was limited, there is no N-O tape, no one ever gave them info on tapers..the list goes on. IOW in 2009? riiight.

And in case anyone didn't catch the sarcasm...I also meant I don't expect to see a proper Matrix release anytime soon.

...............Hey, maybe the doors will release the IOW too....lol...i just kid'n...see, anything is possible...PEACE
wha happened

Post by wha happened »

Buying the tapes does not mean they will be released in the near future. If they ever get released, I see them as downloads. The masters would have never been purchased unless the DCM was not called out on their lies. I see this move more as a way of saying to us, "ok, we bought them, happy now?", plus they know they would lose if Peter decided to sue. So, the Doors now officially own the masters, does that mean we are getting a complete release? Or does that mean they'll milk them for a few years? Maybe they will just sit on them now and never release them for spite. Why go through the trouble of releasing it again, paying Bruce again, paying the cover artist and photographer royalties again? It would make much more sense to release them as downloads.

I'm not expecting to hear the Matrix tapes this year. I wouldn't be surprised if we were told the masters were in worse condition than expected, or didn't sound as good as we hoped, or we have to wait and see what the Doors want to do with them, or we're working on the WSY soundtrack and Felt Forum first before we even consider it, or it's now in the hands of Rhino as to what will be done with them.

I appreciate you went back to find that post. If you looked hard enough you will also see where I said I heard from Peter and he said there was a settlement in the works. That could have meant royalties owed to him from the current release or a deal for his tapes, so this news isn't a total shock. And before that, we knew both parties were talking.

What interests me even more is, did your uncle get his tapes transfered yet? I'd rather see or hear something totally new.
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

My comments were meant to be in the Matrix post....... :oops:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

you make some very good points....but, yes, even though Peter was in touch with the doors, a deal didn't have to be made so quickly...if Peter sued, then the doors would sue and this trouble would sit in the courts for sometimes years and years....i think the doors bought these tapes not only for their archive but for a future complete rerelease of the matrix...and yes, WYS soundtrack and the FF boxset maybe first priority, but i think the matrix release is just around the corner so to speak....like i said before, you never really know. the doors always seem to suprise us and piss us off..lol...
my uncle friend is almost done, he has a couple more reels and some film to transfere..besides transfer he is mixing them as well...when completed, Ed said i could post some samples....so soon PEACE
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

great news Lovemygirl ,cant wait to see them
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

lovemygirl wrote:you make some very good points....but, yes, even though Peter was in touch with the doors, a deal didn't have to be made so quickly...if Peter sued, then the doors would sue and this trouble would sit in the courts for sometimes years and years....i think the doors bought these tapes not only for their archive but for a future complete rerelease of the matrix...and yes, WYS soundtrack and the FF boxset maybe first priority, but i think the matrix release is just around the corner so to speak....like i said before, you never really know. the doors always seem to suprise us and piss us off..lol...
my uncle friend is almost done, he has a couple more reels and some film to transfere..besides transfer he is mixing them as well...when completed, Ed said i could post some samples....so soon PEACE
Sorry I have missed this, what does your uncle have?
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Does he a doors tape? footage?

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

my uncle grew up in NYC and he recorded various bands during 1967-1969, in 1970 he was no longer livin in NYC, actually his first recording was of my grandfather singing and play'n mandolin on Mott St. sit'n at the door steps 1966 i think.... one of the bands he recorded was the doors....he is in the process of transfer'n his reels digitaly...
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

Wow , thats fantastic, like really fantasric. Is he willing to share the recordings here?

lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

as of now, only samples, i contacted jeff and a friend is in the talk of buy'n them....
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Any idea what shows?
And what would they do with them if they're AUDs (I assume)?
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

my uncle knows what shows he recorded... he recorded and filmed many bands...he did record a David Peel show, which i heard, thAT I THINK IS AMAZING...also some Richie Havens and Lov'n Spoonful are a few.... but he did record a few doors shows, my uncle said the doors were like another band fr0om the future because they were so different from the other bands....he said his first recording was when People are strange was making its rounds on the radio......he really didn't want to have people know what he recorded, but i talked with him, and he's try'n to understand what i'm try'n to do........................................hey jim4371 is that a picture of you?
jim4371

Post by jim4371 »

Sounds like it would be the September Village Theater show.

Not me, it's Tim Fite.
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

you are correct...
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Interesting.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

"few" is a very nice word in this context. If and when your uncle want to share more details about his stuff I'm sure we all be very pleased and thankful to him :) . It's nice to have this surprises once in a while. :)
mortimerjeep

Post by mortimerjeep »

Lighting and the transfer times between acts were issues at the Isle of Wight concert. I remember it took ages for them to actually get on stage and perform.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Welcome to this board mortimerjeep!
So, you've been there?
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Indeed very welcome mortimerjeep.
You really were at the Isle of Wight? Are there some more stories you would like to share with us ? I would love to hear how you experienced the Doors performance back then. :D
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

How many people attended the Isle of Wight 1970, compared to Woodstock?

Anyone?

:mrgreen:
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
cutis

Post by cutis »

Isle of Wight was reportedly a larger turnout than Woodstock. Numbers for Woodstock range up to 500,000 but Isle of Wight surpassed that by at least one hundred thousand if not more.

Of course Isle of Wight did not experience rainstorms like Woodstock which caused many people to leave earlier than they wanted to....
jamestkirk wrote:How many people attended the Isle of Wight 1970, compared to Woodstock?

Anyone?

jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

Thanks, c. Thought it looked like more from Misty's pics.

-Aldous Huxley
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

Didnt someone said he was in the Isle of Wight ? Can he share some info or his memories from back then ..?
We would really appreciate it :wink:

Oh i am sorry i just looked at the top of the page ,it is mortimejeep,
Hi and welcome ,can you share some memories from the IOW ?
MajorMojo

Post by MajorMojo »

cutis wrote:Isle of Wight was reportedly a larger turnout than Woodstock. Numbers for Woodstock range up to 500,000 but Isle of Wight surpassed that by at least one hundred thousand if not more.

Of course Isle of Wight did not experience rainstorms like Woodstock which caused many people to leave earlier than they wanted to....
There an exact count for IOW because of the boat crossing kept tabs.
gianmarco91m

Re: Isle of Wight Filming

Post by gianmarco91m »

you were the doors to the island of wight movies in full and the sound quality and excellent video and a beautiful concert, and for now the only witness video of the concerts of 1970, although this was not the only to have been filmed, but yes, certainly there are 4 others, including Bakersfield and felt forum, you can assure them, because I own all these movies for 3 whole concert, I bought a collectors, which is managed to get my hands in the archives of the doors, and I can assure you that the doors have many movies in full concerts from 1968 to 1970