This is what BMA should do

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

anytimecowboy

This is what BMA should do

Post by anytimecowboy »

Ok I posted this on the LL. I reckon if the doors released all this, I would be happy if they never releaed anything ever again.
I mean that, and its all pretty much feasable, well except a few, but they arent impossible, just very unlikely.

Felt Forum box set
Vince boxset
Matrix masters
something from 66? nothing has ever been mentioned, but why not? ?
One full show uncirculated, from 67, 68 and 69. Even audience recordings will do, like a boot yer butt 2.
Stolkholm 68
Cinematique 69
New Orleans 70
Something done with jims poetry for cd
reissue of Jims books
a morrison boxset
IOW dvd
complete hollywood bowl dvd
The roundhouse and Franfurt shows dvd
a concert from 67 or 68 on dvd, never before seen
HWY dvd
FOF
outtakes cd
something done properly with all or most available footage, synched or not

then I will be happy, if they never release anything again
Last edited by anytimecowboy on Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
MysticHeatedWine

Post by MysticHeatedWine »

If even part of your wish list comes true I'd be happy.
"I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I see no lasting energy in the truth and the truth is this: Truth and Energy elicited by the stoned."
Jim Morrison, Los Angeles, 1968
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

MysticHeatedWine wrote:If even part of your wish list comes true I'd be happy.
Me too. :lol:

Why haven't they done anything with Vince's tapes yet?
They have it for years now?
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

I'm starting to think we'll be lucky if we at least get an unbotched FF box set. I think BMA may very well fold soon.
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

They need to promote the releases better, they only sell a few thousand copies each :(

IF BMA folds soon, what else can they release? More Best Ofs and sneakers?
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

BMA isn't going to fold soon... they're just going in a very different direction in the near future....
fsfang2

Post by fsfang2 »

Why would BMA fold??? They have to be making money. There are no recording costs.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

fsfang2 wrote:Why would BMA fold??? They have to be making money. There are no recording costs.
They have other expenses: packaging, artwork, etc.
FWIW, Jeff once listed some of these items. I believe the downloads will be a much more interesting way to reduce costs but... yeah the 6-8 weeks are long gone :roll: I heard they have a real small profit in the BMA business.

And Bryson, what is your perspective on the future direction of BMA? Do you think they will be forced to buy some stuff?

I have little knowledge on this matters but I suppose if the other side (tape owners) is interested in selling, perhaps a more active role is needed on their part. I still believe leaking some snipets is a powerful solution: see the Matrix situation...
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

Not really my perspective.... I'll wish for a nicely remastered Seattle/Bakersfield/Vancouver boxset, complete with a repo Van70 poster, but those days are gone.

The direction it's going in may not appeal to the 'hardcore' fans just now, but their new philosophy on BMA has to start somewhere..

Edit - Looks like I didn't answer the question... No, don't expect to see tapes bought and released. For now, don't expect BMA's next move to release any music..
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

No music at all? I am afraid to think how long for now will be. What on earth is this new philosophy going to be? Bry can you tell some more please? :)
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

Can't say too much, but don't hope for something unheard of to be released here in the foreseeable future. There ARE changes coming soon though.
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

BrysonK wrote:Can't say too much, but don't hope for something unheard of to be released here in the foreseeable future. There ARE changes coming soon though.
Thank you Bryson. :)
We'll see I guess. I hope it will be a good change. Somehow.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

BrysonK wrote:Not really my perspective.... I'll wish for a nicely remastered Seattle/Bakersfield/Vancouver boxset, complete with a repo Van70 poster, but those days are gone.

The direction it's going in may not appeal to the 'hardcore' fans just now, but their new philosophy on BMA has to start somewhere..

Edit - Looks like I didn't answer the question... No, don't expect to see tapes bought and released. For now, don't expect BMA's next move to release any music..
Yes, Bryson I entirely agree with you... I'm also not expecting too much. I think we all regret how things happened in a recent past. Danny was not perfect but I'm sure he wouldn't made these business decisions. I don't believe he would promote this distance from the fans either.

Let's wish the best, lets hope not the worse.
King Morrison

Post by King Morrison »

BMA should release Other Voices and Full Circle, in case they have the masters available somewhere. Its pretty shame, that since they are pumping out those re-masters and re-masters of re-masters, they forgot these albums of Doors history...
When Im sad, she comes to me, with a thousand smiles, she gives to me free... Its alright she says its alright, take anything you want from me, anything... anything.
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

BMA SHOULD release san diego but not as the matrix fiasco
Carnival dog
antero

Post by antero »

desertlizard wrote:BMA SHOULD release san diego but not as the matrix fiasco
San Diego 70?
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

BrysonK wrote:Can't say too much, but don't hope for something unheard of to be released here in the foreseeable future. There ARE changes coming soon though.
What do you mean with changes?
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

Possible changes to be a more fan-based organization rather than media producing..
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Fan based? Now I'm curious... I guess we will have to wait.

Something interesting will be downloads of live shows even audience recordings after some professional sound treatment. It's been proved in the past that some of that stuff can be improved a lot.

Let's hope that at least FF and some of the Vince tapes will be out. Vancouver '70, hopefully.

ps: I don't know why San Diego '70 is being mentioned... :D Those 2 audience sources are the worst I ever heard from The Doors or even any other band. The show was probably great with lots of interesting covers but the sound quality kills every chance of a release.
Last edited by Silver Forest on Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

Don't get too excited... its nothing earth shattering.. :?
King Morrison

Post by King Morrison »

Lets make boots of rare stuff :lol:
When Im sad, she comes to me, with a thousand smiles, she gives to me free... Its alright she says its alright, take anything you want from me, anything... anything.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

BrysonK wrote:Don't get too excited... its nothing earth shattering.. :?
Down to the Earth! :wink:
If you are able to do it, please do share any info.
Thanks for making me curious about, Bryson :)
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

i think BMA is not dead or ending anytime soon....the new BMA website should be up and running soon, and the release of the felt forum boxset, in my mind is gonna be HUGE...one of the best BMA releases to date..,better than Detriot. New York City.....the doors.......even though the doors were from LA, they loved NYC.......alot of history is their....i see this next release along with the new DOC. with johnny depp help, will be the spark we all need to bring the Fire back into BMAs......
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

"More fan based"? Does that mean their focus will be on appealing to the lowest common denominator? I guess Jeff was serious when he threatened to discontinue live releases.

A good way to become more "fan based" would be to give more consideration to fans' suggestions. If they had done this prior to the Matrix release, they probably wouldn't feel the need to rethink their direction.
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

I don't like something beeing "fan-based", sounds like merchandising and stuff. Put Jim's face on something and it sells. To me it seems Jeff is there to make money, but not with new releases (with the exception of a "best-of"). It's really frustrating. I guess years of new T-shirts and shoes are coming :(
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

We're going back to the dark ages. :roll:
BrysonK

Post by BrysonK »

Actually I haven't seen anywhere yet on the new BMA that says "put yer money here for Converse Doors Sneakers"...

The new BMA may not be a big "bang", but perhaps in the future there might be something better on the horizon...
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

BrysonK wrote:Possible changes to be a more fan-based organization rather than media producing..
Have you heard if Matrix (complete from masters) and Felt Forum boxes are still planned? Is there an internal consensus within the Doors camp on how Matrix was handled?

Does fan-based mean more logo branded merchandise?
anytimecowboy

Post by anytimecowboy »

could fan based mean, selling directly from the website, small limited editions, downloads that sort of thing

This would mean they could appease the fans and still sell mass market wide distribution compilations and the like which garner profits
'I've seen the future brother, it is murder'...
'whole new strange catacombs of wisdom

'''''We want Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque Cinematheque and we want it now''''
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

BrysonK wrote:Actually I haven't seen anywhere yet on the new BMA that says "put yer money here for Converse Doors Sneakers"...

The new BMA may not be a big "bang", but perhaps in the future there might be something better on the horizon...
Okay, this is a new perspective. I guess that if it's not gonna be a "bing bang", then they'll release what they have first. FF, tapes from Vince (?), Winterland '67, maybe some downloads (Colorado '67), studio outtakes. And when you write about the future, do you mean future like 2-4 years or rather future 5-10 years?