Question about the Matrix sound quality

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

spyma2

Question about the Matrix sound quality

Post by spyma2 »

As we now know all the bootlegs of both Matrix shows are inferior compared to the sound from the master tapes. The March 7th show does'nt sound as good as the March 10th show do to the taper setting up the microphones differently then the first night. I noticed that the March 10th show is more even through the speakers and the 7th seems to be more dominant on the right especially Jim's vocals. Can this be corrected? Can the sound for both shows be enhanced even better than what we hear from the masters tapes without making it sound fake? If yes how would this be done? Thanks in advance.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

It's difficult because it was recorded in a very simple manner so there are really only a few options. The first would be what Botnick did. He evened out the levels in both channels, then when Jim wasn't singing, he went to almost a mono mix by incorporating more of the instrument channel into both channels. This helped "fill out" the sound a bit. The second option would be to double the instrument channel, put them slightly out of phase to give a simulated stereo sound, and mix the vocal channel in the middle. This would create some atmosphere to the recording but also increase the tape noise. The third option would be to mix everything into mono. There isn't much else to be done, especially with the March 7th recording. To be honest, I think mono might be the best way to go with these recordings. I have a feeling if Botnick is to work on the Matrix masters (and not Hoffman as Jampol has suggested in the past) he'll likely do what he did on the original Matrix release unless the better tape quality gives him another idea.
spyma2

Post by spyma2 »

Porsche wrote:It's difficult because it was recorded in a very simple manner so there are really only a few options. The first would be what Botnick did. He evened out the levels in both channels, then when Jim wasn't singing, he went to almost a mono mix by incorporating more of the instrument channel into both channels. This helped "fill out" the sound a bit. The second option would be to double the instrument channel, put them slightly out of phase to give a simulated stereo sound, and mix the vocal channel in the middle. This would create some atmosphere to the recording but also increase the tape noise. The third option would be to mix everything into mono. There isn't much else to be done, especially with the March 7th recording. To be honest, I think mono might be the best way to go with these recordings. I have a feeling if Botnick is to work on the Matrix masters (and not Hoffman as Jampol has suggested in the past) he'll likely do what he did on the original Matrix release unless the better tape quality gives him another idea.
Thanks Porsche!!!!! I guess Mr. Botnick will do his best to bring out the sound as best as it can get, hopefully without increasing the tape noise. I would'nt mind if they released it as is from the masters as long as it's complete!!!!!!
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

March 7: Voices in one channel via PA feed. Instruments captured by one mic hung from the rafters about 10 feet from stage.

March 9 (The End fragment) and 10: Voices in one channel via PA feed. Instruments captured via "close direct mic'ing" in the other channel.

Hence the sonic improvement in instrument definition on March 9 and the 10th.

I think the best we can hope for is a clean transfer and playback on a vintage tube recorder (to ensure warmth) and no digital reverb. Botnick seems to like digital reverb unfortunately. The engineer will need to rebalance the relative loudness of the instrument channel vs voice to achieve an balanced sound.

Mono might be an improvement for the March 7 shows, beefing up the anemic instrument channel.

However, March 9 and 10 should be presented in true twin track stereo, as the instruments sound fine as they are on those nights.
spyma2

Post by spyma2 »

hardrockcafe wrote:March 7: Voices in one channel via PA feed. Instruments captured by one mic hung from the rafters about 10 feet from stage.

March 9 (The End fragment) and 10: Voices in one channel via PA feed. Instruments captured via "close direct mic'ing" in the other channel.

Hence the sonic improvement in instrument definition on March 9 and the 10th.

I think the best we can hope for is a clean transfer and playback on a vintage tube recorder (to ensure warmth) and no digital reverb. Botnick seems to like digital reverb unfortunately. The engineer will need to rebalance the relative loudness of the instrument channel vs voice to achieve an balanced sound.

Mono might be an improvement for the March 7 shows, beefing up the anemic instrument channel.

However, March 9 and 10 should be presented in true twin track stereo, as the instruments sound fine as they are on those nights.
I really cant wait for this release!!!!! When the samples from the master tapes were available to download I could'nt believe my ears. I burned them to a CDR and play it constantly. Whatever it takes to bring out the best sound quality possible without digital reverb will be fine.