'The Doors: Live In New York' Box Set

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Unbelievable situation. :shock: Ridiculous if you think I bought my box in Lisbon FNAC a few days after the official release.
I hope they solve the situation ASAP and with some apologies.
Indulge for making a joke for this situation but it seems this is the airline company that is making your box crossing the ocean:

:roll:
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

LOL, yes if you look close you can see my set! :lol:
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

What if someone just buys a copy in the U.S. and ships it to you? In return you can send them some delicious Netherlands Stroopwafels! :D
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Well, I have to buy then for over $60 dollars Stroopwafels! :lol:
twilla

Post by twilla »

what is that?
Is that like a waffle or cookie? lol
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

twilla wrote:what is that?
Is that like a waffle or cookie? lol
Yes with a lot of suger stuff in between the waffles. It's so goood. If you buy the real ones when they are still warm.
But a big attack on ones butt. :lol:
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

They are awesome. The best way to describe it is two thin mini waffles sandwiched together. In the middle is a delicious syrup filling, which kind of tastes like caramel.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

StrangeNightOfStone

Post by StrangeNightOfStone »

hardrockcafe wrote:See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroopwafel

That looks tasty, just needs a pile of Ketchup
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

hardrockcafe wrote:They are awesome. The best way to describe it is two thin mini waffles sandwiched together. In the middle is a delicious syrup filling, which kind of tastes like caramel.
WOW, now that is THE description of a Stroopwafel! I always serve them at my shop for the clients.You just gotta love'em!
twilla

Post by twilla »

Man that sounds good
but I don't want the butt to go with them.. LOL
They probably have about 2000 calories or more
I would be afraid to try them because I would fall in love them.
I like caramel
doorman

Post by doorman »

And they wonder why people overseas don't bother, I'm still saving for Boston 70 :wink:
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

After numerous emails to Musictoday I got this email:

Hello,

I apologize that your order was not received. Our records indicate that your order should have arrived by now. Since you still have not received your order, I fear that your order may have been lost in transit. Please check with your local post office as they may be holding your order for customs charges. If you are unable to locate your order, please verify with us your correct shipping address and we will investigate your delivery issue.

International/Canadian Customers:

International orders ship via IMEX Bulk. We are not provided individual tracking numbers. Regardless of delivery location and due to recent border restrictions, International delivery can sometimes take up to 5 weeks.

Paul
Customer Service
www.musictoday.com
Toll Free (US): 877-MUSIC-77 (877-687-4277)
International: 001-434-244-7300

I checked with my post office and it's not there. JEEEEEEZ, that's nice huh!
So here am I, and still have to see if I get a refund.Big Big Bummer!!
Last time I'll ever order there.It's gonna be a cold and lonely X-mas without it...

I am pissed!
StrangeNightOfStone

thefreed wrote:After numerous emails to Musictoday I got this email:

Hello,

I apologize that your order was not received. Our records indicate that your order should have arrived by now. Since you still have not received your order, I fear that your order may have been lost in transit. Please check with your local post office as they may be holding your order for customs charges. If you are unable to locate your order, please verify with us your correct shipping address and we will investigate your delivery issue.

International/Canadian Customers:

International orders ship via IMEX Bulk. We are not provided individual tracking numbers. Regardless of delivery location and due to recent border restrictions, International delivery can sometimes take up to 5 weeks.

Paul
Customer Service
www.musictoday.com
Toll Free (US): 877-MUSIC-77 (877-687-4277)
International: 001-434-244-7300

I checked with my post office and it's not there. JEEEEEEZ, that's nice huh!
So here am I, and still have to see if I get a refund.Big Big Bummer!!
Last time I'll ever order there.It's gonna be a cold and lonely X-mas without it...

I am pissed!

If you like I'll pick one up for you and send it your way...The Felt Forum box is readily available in local stores
"Sometimes I wonder how long the blues is gonna last-cause' every song sounds like the one before last."
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

Jeez that sucks.
Are they at least going to help you to get your money back?
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

That's very kind of you, but I don't know if I'll get a refund, and I don't want to pay twice for something.
If they are going to "investigate" my case, I'm sure it can take a while.
I am frustrated by all this...
Mystery Train

Post by Mystery Train »

thefreed wrote:That's very kind of you, but I don't know if I'll get a refund, and I don't want to pay twice for something.
If they are going to "investigate" my case, I'm sure it can take a while.
I am frustrated by all this...
Ah, that sucks. But you're not the only one without the Boxset for X-Mas: I was going to get it for X-Mas from my girldfriend who ordered through Amazon, but the post-office made a mistake with our mail and sent the Boxset back... Amazon still has not received it back and we're waiting to get the full refund. Then I'll buy it in a local store.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

you sent it to me , i still owe you 15$ :D :twisted:
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

lizardkingteo wrote:you sent it to me , i still owe you 15$ :D :twisted:
ahh-- I am sorry...I was thinking Kostis for some reason.
$15?? The DVD and shipping was like $6..no worries. Consider it a very very early Christmas present!!
I think I will live without the $6 :lol:
StrangeNightOfStone

Lauren wrote:
lizardkingteo wrote:you sent it to me , i still owe you 15$ :D :twisted:
ahh-- I am sorry...I was thinking Kostis for some reason.
$15?? The DVD and shipping was like $6..no worries. Consider it a very very early Christmas present!!
I think I will live without the $6 :lol:

BTW Lauren, you should be getting your package today, i priority mailed it saturday...
Lauren

Post by Lauren »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
BTW Lauren, you should be getting your package today, i priority mailed it saturday...
ah rad.....thank you!!

let me know if you want me to throw you some paypal $$, I don't mind at all :D
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Latest update. Musictoday is sending me a replacement copy, no extra charge and it has already been shipped.
That's a bit of good news, I think they handled this well without any discussion.
Ok, well, I hope the next year will bring me Live In New York!
MistyJm

Post by MistyJm »

thefreed wrote:Latest update. Musictoday is sending me a replacement copy, no extra charge and it has already been shipped.
That's a bit of good news, I think they handled this well without any discussion.
Ok, well, I hope the next year will bring me Live In New York!
That is good news Ed. Finally.

I hope they will do this to all the people that are still waiting or that the order is lost.
I read there are more in the same situation as you with Musictoday.
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

I listened to the first show again last night. I can't get over how much better Soul Kitchen sounds without hearing Ray sing back-up.
StrangeNightOfStone

Encuentro wrote:I listened to the first show again last night. I can't get over how much better Soul Kitchen sounds without hearing Ray sing back-up.

The quickest way Ray can ruin a song is to open his mouth and start singing..

Take for example 'Moonlight Drive' from the Matrix (March 10 '67)- flawless version- but then WTF, Ray starts singing backup!

Ray is a superb keyboardest- but he's an awful singer..You'll hear better singing at any bar that has a Karoke night...
doorman

Post by doorman »

I listened to The End from Detroit yesterday, the "stop the car!!" episode is plain embarassing, note how it was audited out of the BMR sampler, the first time I heard it on the Detroit release I nearly soiled my pants from shock..it's bad..
Encuentro

Post by Encuentro »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:
Encuentro wrote:I listened to the first show again last night. I can't get over how much better Soul Kitchen sounds without hearing Ray sing back-up.

The quickest way Ray can ruin a song is to open his mouth and start singing..

Take for example 'Moonlight Drive' from the Matrix (March 10 '67)- flawless version- but then WTF, Ray starts singing backup!

Ray is a superb keyboardest- but he's an awful singer..You'll hear better singing at any bar that has a Karoke night...
Another example is Soul Kitchen from The Matrix. He sings back-up on almost the entire song. It's like he's doing a duet with Jim.

I'm surprised that they picked Soul Kitchen from the Aquarius second performance to put on Absolutely Live. Ray sings back-up and is totally out of synch with Jim. It sounds sloppy. The versions of Soul Kitchen from The Felt Forum are much better.
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

StrangeNightOfStone wrote:Has anyone seen any mainstream media reviews of this release?

here's one in "the wall street journal", http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 82968.html

By JIM FUSILLI

Very few major bands of the '60s and '70s have an image today that's as far removed from the music they played back then as the Doors. The Los Angeles-based quartet is likely remembered as the group behind the dated though still-enjoyable hit singles "Light My Fire," "Hello, I Love You" and "Touch Me," as well as the FM radio staples "Riders on the Storm" and "L.A. Woman." Lead singer and lyricist Jim Morrison achieved rock immortality by dying before his decline, having established a public persona that was part Brando, part Lord Byron, part preacher and part shaman. Live recordings of his long-form pieces with the Doors—"The End," for example, which evolved onstage into an Oedipal drama with Morrison playing all the roles—give the impression the band alternated between pop hits and self-indulgence.

But, as the recently released six-CD set "Live in New York" (Rhino) illustrates, the Doors were a red-hot blues band too. At the time of Morrison's death in 1971 at age 27, about 18 months after the shows were recorded, the band was stripping back its sound and reconnecting to music that, before the Doors struck it big, had been in its repertoire.

"The Doors were a blues-based band with literary aspirations," said Ray Manzarek, the band's keyboard player, when we spoke recently by phone. In 1966, when they played their first shows at the London Fog, a club on L.A.'s Sunset Strip, "we had to do four sets a night, maybe five on the weekend," he told me. "That's a lot of time to kill. So we started to play the blues."

Mr. Manzarek, Morrison and their colleagues John Densmore, a drummer, and guitarist Robbie Krieger admired Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf and John Lee Hooker as well as groups like the Chicago-based Paul Butterfield Blues Band with guitarist Mike Bloomfield.

"I grew up on the South Side of Chicago, and Robbie is a country blues guy," Mr. Manzarek said. "When we were signed by Elektra, he was thrilled because they put out the Paul Butterfield band." Paul Rothschild, who produced Butterfield, was assigned to work with them.

In time, the Doors put away the blues. "We had our own material," Mr. Manzarek recalled. Willie Dixon's "Back Door Man" appears on their debut disc, but they recorded no other blues standards on their first four albums.

The blues slipped from their live shows too. "We played the Doors' greatest hits," Mr. Manzarek said. "If you came to see the Doors, paying all of $5, you'd better hear 'Light My Fire' and 'Hello, I Love You.'"

"Soft Parade," the Doors' fourth album, in which the band was backed by an orchestra, was "the obligatory horns-and-strings experimentation," Mr. Manzarek said. "And then we got back to the blues." The next album would be the band's grittiest studio recording, "Morrison Hotel," which is book-ended by two original blues works—"Roadhouse Blues," featuring John Sebastian on harmonica, and "Maggie M'Gill." Guitarist Lonnie Mack, who influenced Duane Allman and Stevie Ray Vaughn, sat in on bass on both.

When the band arrived in New York in January 1970 to do the four concerts that constitute "Live in New York," "Morrison Hotel" had yet to be released. Before the shows, the audience was probably unaware that the band was returning to its roots, though by agreeing to play two shows a night at the Felt Forum, rather than one at the much larger arena next door, Madison Square Garden, the Doors were simplifying. Mr. Manzarek said they were eager to play a smaller venue for a New York crowd.

"New York was our best audience," he told me. "They understood the musical references, the jazz, and Morrison's poetry."

But four shows over two nights would be a test for Morrison, whose addiction to alcohol made him an uneven performer. "That's a lot of work. That's tough," Mr. Manzarek said. Morrison, he added, "had done some ripping and tearing on the old vocal chords. But he held up."

The best set of the four, which are presented in their entirety in the box, is the kickoff. During each show, the band rips into Bo Diddley, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker and others as well as "Roadhouse Blues," which opens all the shows. They play the hits, of course, but with a fierce attack. The package recasts the Doors as a tight live act. Though Morrison commands the spotlight, the trio behind him is more than mere support. Mr. Manzarek, who filled the bottom by playing the Fender Rhodes Piano Bass with his left hand, creates a sinewy platform for Morrison with an electric organ, while Mr. Krieger's guitar has an appealing bite as he alternates between soloing and working off Mr. Manzarek. On drums, Mr. Densmore makes rock that swings.

"Of course, we nailed it," a cheerful Mr. Manzarek told me. "Ooh, that band is tight. When my left hand locked in with Densmore's kick drum, I could just feel it. I've said this before, but one of my biggest regrets was that I never got to see the Doors. I never got to experience that tightness from the audience."
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Mr. Manzarek said. "If you came to see the Doors, paying all of $5, you'd better hear 'Light My Fire' and 'Hello, I Love You.'"

Hello I Love You? Did they ever play that after 1968?
Last edited by hardrockcafe on Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.