'The Doors: Live In Vancouver' - Nov. 22, 2010

All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Porsche

'The Doors: Live In Vancouver' - Nov. 22, 2010

Post by Porsche »

THE DOORS SHINE IN VANCOUVER

The Band Rocks The Great White North With This Unreleased 1970 Concert Featuring Guest Appearance by Blues Legend Albert King

Available November 22 From Rhino And Bright Midnight Archives

LOS ANGELES – Four months into the band’s 1970 Roadhouse Blues Tour, The Doors lit up Vancouver like the Northern Lights with an incandescent performance ignited by a rollicking set list, and blues legend Albert King, who sat in for four songs. Rhino and Bright Midnight Archives capture every shining moment with THE DOORS – LIVE IN VANCOUVER. The two-disc set of unreleased music will be available November 22 at all retail outlets, including www.rhino.com, for a suggested list price of $19.98 (CD) and $13.99 (digital).

Recorded June 6, 1970 at the Pacific Coliseum in Vancouver, British Columbia, Jim Morrison, John Densmore, Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek opened the show in high gear, barreling through 15 minutes of raunchy, stomping blues with "Roadhouse Blues," "Alabama Song (Whisky Bar)," "Back Door Man" and "Five To One." Next the group briefly shifted gears, taking a hard left turn into psychedelic territory for a nearly 14-minute take on "When The Music’s Over."

Midway through the two-hour show, King joined The Doors on stage, lending his trademark stinging guitar licks to covers of Willie Dixon’s "Little Red Rooster," the Motown classic "Money," and the blues standard "Rock Me."

On the second disc, The Doors head for the homestretch with "Petition The Lord With Prayer," a spoken word piece often featured live, but not officially released until a few weeks after the Vancouver show, when it appeared on Absolutely Live. Nearly 18-minute versions of "Light My Fire" and "The End," two legendary tracks from the band’s groundbreaking 1967 self-titled debut, close out the show in epic fashion.

"What a funky night," recalls Manzarek in the set’s liner notes. "Jim singing his ass off with the prod in the butt by a legendary old blues man (King)."

"Jim lit Albert King's cigar, and we were off!" remembers Densmore.

"The Vancouver show was so much fun for me because one of my heroes (King) was our second act," says Krieger. "Not only did we get to hang with the man, but we convinced him to come up and jam with us."

Vince Treanor, The Doors' tour manager, recorded the show for the band on a Sony reel-to-reel using two microphones placed on the stage. While not a multitrack high fidelity recording, it is clean, quiet and clear, allowing the unbridled energy of the performances to shine through.

THE DOORS – LIVE IN VANCOUVER

Track Listing

Disc 1

01. Start Of Show
02. ROADHOUSE BLUES
03. ALABAMA SONG (WHISKY BAR)
04. BACK DOOR MAN
05. FIVE TO ONE
06. WHEN THE MUSIC'S OVER
07. Applause – Jim Talks
08. LOVE ME TWO TIMES
09. Applause – Jim Talks
10. LITTLE RED ROOSTER – with Albert King
11. Tuning
12. MONEY – with Albert King
13. Tuning
14. ROCK ME – with Albert King
15. Tuning
16. WHO DO YOU LOVE – with Albert King

Disc 2

01. Tuning
02. PETITION THE LORD WITH PRAYER
03. LIGHT MY FIRE
04. Tuning
05. THE END
06. Thank You & Good Night
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Thought it would be a good idea to make a dedicated thread here to this new release. Feel free to add any news items or reviews once it comes out.

A few extra details on this one:

Here's the same kind of Sony TC-630 reel-to-reel stereo recorder Vince Treanor used to tape the show: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0160888005

This is how Vince described recording Vancouver when I asked him about it. Sadly, this info won't be in the liner notes for the official release (no room with the budget packaging):

"It was outside at a great area cut in a forest. Wonderful natural acoustics one might consider. The mikes were placed at the front of the stage in such position to gather the vocals from the front amps as well as the instruments from the amps lined up along the rear of the stage. It was an interesting balancing act to get everything just right. The mikes were on stands about 4-1/2' above the stage. Cables were run directly into the recorder. The sound is about as close to reality as one could get under the circumstances."
lovemygirl
Banned

Post by lovemygirl »

...would of been nice to have some notes by vince included in a booklet for this release....
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

It maybe unfair but this option of not having an inside booklet seems like they don't want Vince to be more involved in the release. They have to give him credits for taping this show but probably they feel it's more than enough. They may allege it's a commercial choice since the market nowadays is tough but...
Unfair or not, I say it's a shame that there's no booklet with all those nice available photos and also with Vince, Ray, John and Robbie's memories.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

I think that this release will not be very well prepared with the lack of the booklet and all the mistakes in crediting. It gives me an impression that the management was Forced to do another release this year for more money and the guys made it as quick as possible cause they had WYS .

I would prefer that they would stall it's release for next year and be more prepared and well done , with it's booklets , notes , pictures , and even better with the Seattle as a bonus

Money beats soul
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

I'm hoping that the decision to not include a booklet is related to the amount they're planning to spend on the Matrix set. I also hope that they package the Matrix set with something better than a magnet and pint glass.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Pre-orders at the official store for anyone interested in going that route: http://thedoors.shop.musictoday.com/Dep ... 1127_40995

Also from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Doors-Live-Vancou ... B0046IGOIO

They keep forgetting to credit Albert King on "Who Do You Love."
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

Silver Forest wrote:It maybe unfair but this option of not having an inside booklet seems like they don't want Vince to be more involved in the release. They have to give him credits for taping this show but probably they feel it's more than enough. They may allege it's a commercial choice since the market nowadays is tough but...
Unfair or not, I say it's a shame that there's no booklet with all those nice available photos and also with Vince, Ray, John and Robbie's memories.
My theory is they didn't go through the trouble of making a booklet for Vancouver partly because of the sound quality. More than likely they'll do the same with Seattle and Bakersfield if they get CD releases.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

Probably a cost cutting measure. Besides, how good can the "technical information and other truths" be

1) this recording was made from the stage with two mics. considering that, it sounds pretty bloody good.

2) this recording has been bootlegged to death.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Porsche wrote:Pre-orders at the official store for anyone interested in going that route: http://thedoors.shop.musictoday.com/Dep ... 1127_40995

Thanks for passing this along!

My pre-order through Amazon is in. If it's like previous releases, the $19.98 price will come down (and be applied).
When I was a kid, we used to put pennies on the tracks and watch them get smashed.
LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE

Post by LetsMoveGrooveRAMPAGE »

Porsche wrote:They keep forgetting to credit Albert King on "Who Do You Love."
The Doors official store does not credit Albert King, but Amazon does for some reason.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Amazon reads us :mrgreen:
universalmind69

Post by universalmind69 »

They, Amazon, probably know better :lol:

It will be nice to have this show in the best quality possible, I will definetly NOT pre-order through the official store though...."MusicToday" ("Today", hah...what a joke) sucks, far too expensive and they sure don't know how to pack.Amazon for me...
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

So this show is direct from Vince's master tape? I imagine it was transfered to protools and mixed in that enviroment.

That's a beautiful picture of that Sony deck! I wonder whatever became of the one used to record this release? Thanks for posting Porsche.
He is the Last Dinosaur!
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Porsche wrote:Thought it would be a good idea to make a dedicated thread here to this new release. Feel free to add any news items or reviews once it comes out.

Here's the same kind of Sony TC-630 reel-to-reel stereo recorder Vince Treanor used to tape the show: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0160888005

This is how Vince described recording Vancouver when I asked him about it. Sadly, this info won't be in the liner notes for the official release (no room with the budget packaging):

"It was outside at a great area cut in a forest. Wonderful natural acoustics one might consider. The mikes were placed at the front of the stage in such position to gather the vocals from the front amps as well as the instruments from the amps lined up along the rear of the stage. It was an interesting balancing act to get everything just right. The mikes were on stands about 4-1/2' above the stage. Cables were run directly into the recorder. The sound is about as close to reality as one could get under the circumstances."
They should have given the recorder back in '67... Vince would have become a rich guy and us happier fans. :mrgreen:

Thanks Len, this small description by Vince convinces me that the booklet would have been an excellent addition to the new release.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Very much agree with both statements! I think there's some bad blood between Doors and Vince and that's also a factor dismissing him linernotes-wise and else.
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Porsche wrote:Pre-orders at the official store for anyone interested in going that route: http://thedoors.shop.musictoday.com/Dep ... 1127_40995

They keep forgetting to credit Albert King on "Who Do You Love."
damn, musictoday keeps that high shipping rates, i won't pay US$ 23 just for a magnet x_X
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Buda wrote:Very much agree with both statements! I think there's some bad blood between Doors and Vince and that's also a factor dismissing him linernotes-wise and else.
Why is there friction?
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Porsche wrote:Thought it would be a good idea to make a dedicated thread here to this new release. Feel free to add any news items or reviews once it comes out.

Looks like a high quality portable. So he didn't take the vocal directly from the board feed but instead mic'd the speakers? Was the recording speed 7.5 ips? I'll be curious to see how much better this sounds than the bootlegs. Could be a pretty significant upgrade.
Buda

Post by Buda »

hardrockcafe wrote:
Buda wrote:Very much agree with both statements! I think there's some bad blood between Doors and Vince and that's also a factor dismissing him linernotes-wise and else.
Why is there friction?
They obviously dismissed him numerous times in the past in terms of Doors related projects where he could have been a major additional factor in making better results (he's missing is lately most prominent is the book The Doors by the Doors, 2007). Gosh, he was the road manager, who acted like the band's own manager many times when Siddons failed to bring what's needed to the table. Possibly he could have said a thing or two that must have disturbed Ray in the previous decades but I doubt it was that offending in any sense. And now with this current release of Vancouver where he's undoubtedly associated with the project as he recorded the show, he ain't get two-lines worth of space to shed some lights on this recording in his own words. That's a shame cause no booklet is needed to make some space for that.
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

hardrockcafe wrote:Looks like a high quality portable. So he didn't take the vocal directly from the board feed but instead mic'd the speakers? Was the recording speed 7.5 ips? I'll be curious to see how much better this sounds than the bootlegs. Could be a pretty significant upgrade.
Vancouver was recorded at 1 7/8 ips and Seattle/Bakersfield were both recorded at 3.75 ips. Vince explained: "I regret the slow recording speed but the length of tape available and the near impossibility of changing reels in the chaos of a performance dictated that this was the method used."
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Porsche wrote:
hardrockcafe wrote:Looks like a high quality portable. So he didn't take the vocal directly from the board feed but instead mic'd the speakers? Was the recording speed 7.5 ips? I'll be curious to see how much better this sounds than the bootlegs. Could be a pretty significant upgrade.
Vancouver was recorded at 1 7/8 ips and Seattle/Bakersfield were both recorded at 3.75 ips. Vince explained: "I regret the slow recording speed but the length of tape available and the near impossibility of changing reels in the chaos of a performance dictated that this was the method used."
Yikes! That means Vancouver master tape is traveling at the same rate as a compact cassette. I'll still buy it though. Love Albert King. How many generations removed was the bootleg from the master tape?
Buda

Post by Buda »

Not that much. I think the most welcome source, "one hundred minutes" can't be more then between 3rd-5th gen recs or lower, as they sound too good to be much higher (not to mention Len's master reel source) and if we consider this fact you mentioned... only what we can trust is Botnick magic hands and senses, but that's fortunately guaranteed. :wink:
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Buda wrote:Not that much. I think the most welcome source, "one hundred minutes" can't be more then between 3rd-5th gen recs or lower, as they sound too good to be much higher (not to mention Len's master reel source) and if we consider this fact you mentioned... only what we can trust is Botnick magic hands and senses, but that's fortunately guaranteed. :wink:
Let's hope he doesn't add digital reverb.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Buda wrote:
hardrockcafe wrote:
Why is there friction?
They obviously dismissed him numerous times in the past in terms of Doors related projects where he could have been a major additional factor in making better results (he's missing is lately most prominent is the book The Doors by the Doors, 2007). Gosh, he was the road manager, who acted like the band's own manager many times when Siddons failed to bring what's needed to the table. Possibly he could have said a thing or two that must have disturbed Ray in the previous decades but I doubt it was that offending in any sense. And now with this current release of Vancouver where he's undoubtedly associated with the project as he recorded the show, he ain't get two-lines worth of space to shed some lights on this recording in his own words. That's a shame cause no booklet is needed to make some space for that.
What's the background on the Doors buying Vince's tapes.

Given that they published bootlegs of Vancouver on the 1997 box -- did Vince approach them after it came out and threaten legal action? Otherwise, why would they buy it? Unless they wanted to help him out financially.
Buda

Post by Buda »

Yep that's also kinda side of the coin, but don't forget, Vince served them with three (!) shows. So it wasn't a charity act. Ten or twenty grand for three shows will surely turn out beneficial in one way or another.
Liberty Man

Post by Liberty Man »

What is written on the official Doors site :
"Vince Treanor, The Doors' tour manager, recorded the show for the band on a Sony reel-to-reel using two microphones placed on the stage."
is not really the truth, otherwise he would not sell the 3 recordings for "a fistful of dollars" !
Vjerchi

Post by Vjerchi »

hardrockcafe wrote:
Buda wrote:Not that much. I think the most welcome source, "one hundred minutes" can't be more then between 3rd-5th gen recs or lower, as they sound too good to be much higher (not to mention Len's master reel source) and if we consider this fact you mentioned... only what we can trust is Botnick magic hands and senses, but that's fortunately guaranteed. :wink:
Fingers crossed. But somehow I doubt it. Are there audio samples of official Vancouver tracks already available somewhere?
There are things known and there are things unknown, and in between are The Questions.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Amazon now $14.99.
CDUniverse $15.98.

Honest to God, how does Musictoday stay in business?
When I was a kid, we used to put pennies on the tracks and watch them get smashed.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

hardrockcafe wrote:
Me too. How ridiculous is Pitts... the amount of compression and verb on that snare drum, particularly the opening and closing snare cracks from LMF, couldn't sound more unnatural.