All about the Bright Midnight Releases.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

D1

Post by D1 »

Why the tape hiss is so loud on this relise? :shock:
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

D1 wrote:Why the tape hiss is so loud on this relise? :shock:
Slow tape speed. Levels may not be fully saturated. It actually sounds pretty good considering the tape was traveling at 1 7/8" per second and it's a offline source: mics hung in front of stage speakers.
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Any predictions what a title like Vancouver will sell? How are BMA sales doing? Even if they move a maximum of 10,000 units, I can't envision each Door earning more than $15k depending on margins, label and wholesale costs.

Anyone think they will actually release the drunken Seattle 70? Sure they released Boston 70, but at least Boston had good sound quality. If they release Seattle 70, they'd probably have to bundle it with Bakersfield to move many units. Hard to envision Seattle selling well on its own.
mystery_train67

Post by mystery_train67 »

hardrockcafe wrote:Anyone know how many units a title like Vancouver will sell? How are BMA sales doing?

Anyone think they will actually release the drunken Seattle 70? Sure they released Boston 70, but at least Boston had good sound quality. If they release Seattle 70, they'd probably have to bundle it with Bakersfield to move many units. Hard to envision Seattle selling well on its own.
i honestly dont think morrison is drunk in seattle, i mean sure he was an alco, so he was probably drunk to a degree, but i wouldn't say drunk. maybe he was on downers. maybe he was just tired as all hell. maybe he'd been drinking all day and was winding down.

once again, i really like the seattle show
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

mystery_train67 wrote:
i honestly dont think morrison is drunk in seattle, i mean sure he was an alco, so he was probably drunk to a degree, but i wouldn't say drunk. maybe he was on downers. maybe he was just tired as all hell. maybe he'd been drinking all day and was winding down.

once again, i really like the seattle show
Maybe I need to relisten to Seattle. I haven't heard it in years. Isn't that the one where he "plays" harmonica and then engages in a long feedback exercise?
glenn

Post by glenn »

hardrockcafe wrote:Isn't that the one where he "plays" harmonica and then engages in a long feedback exercise?
Yup. In WTMO. I just played this song from my Jim's Alive boot.
When I was a kid, we used to put pennies on the tracks and watch them get smashed.
mystery_train67

hehe yeahhh, skip WTMO. Back Door Man, Train Jam, Someday Soon, Five To One, Break On Thru, and Light My Fire are all nice laid back versions if you ask me. It's not your typical doors show, but the band is solid, the sound is nice, and Jim is just kinda there but also kinda absent.... I duno, I like it. Especially Light My Fire....
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

The only song is worth in this show is Someday Soon. The rest is a long boring sequence of songs. It justifies a official download only. I would discard this in favor of some other stuff. For instance if I was given choice between an official release of Seattle '70 and "Rock is dead" session I would pick the last one. Seattle was (probably together with NO) the bottom line of the '70 shows.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

Silver Forest wrote:The only song is worth in this show is Someday Soon. The rest is a long boring sequence of songs. It justifies a official download only. I would discard this in favor of some other stuff. For instance if I was given choice between an official release of Seattle '70 and "Rock is dead" session I would pick the last one. Seattle was (probably together with NO) the bottom line of the '70 shows.
I second the Rock is Dead session
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
Buda

Post by Buda »

With the Stockholm gigs, I always got the impression that they're an example of how Jim failed to connect with the audience (for various reasons) and this resulted him being passive throughout. It's the very last of the great 1968 shows and still, somehow the total opposite of them: very much laid back and at times uninspired. The rest of the band gives a top notch performance and Jim wasn't drunk at all, so a great night was on the horizont, but these aspects took away the opportunity to be a real triumphant night.

I also second the Rock is Dead sessions or anything completely unreleased because it would be just about time for the Doors co. to do such.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

I didn't wanted to give an idea that Rock is Dead is on the top of my choices. This was being used to emphatize my poor feelings about Seattle '70.
Fortunately, there's much material still to be released. Perhaps this is not the right place to do it and also is debatable but I would rank these priorities as follows:

- Roundhouse '68 (all available footage);
- Studio outtakes (2CDs hopefully);
- Matrix '67 boxset (with the entire content of the master tapes);
- Jim's poetry sessions (agreement with Morrisons/Coursons);
- Fillmore '67 (Mr Densmore, pleeease...);
- Isle of Wight '70 (entire show);
- Video box (with all the TV shows in the highest possible quality);
- Bakersfield '70;
- Feast of Friends (maybe included on the video box);
- HWY - An American pastoral (maybe included on the video box);
- Stockholm '68;
- Hollywood Bowl '68 (entire show in HD);
- Rock is Dead (entire) session;
- Seattle '70;

Actually for Seattle '70 this could be it:
Buda

Post by Buda »

Alright, I second those priority rankings too! ..with the exception that Fillmore '67 should start the whole thing off! :mrgreen:

Oh btw Cream's song Dreaming comes to my mind because of all the hopes we express here for future releases... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPjTK0mtVEw
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Image Image
:lol:
hardrockcafe

Post by hardrockcafe »

Silver Forest wrote:I didn't wanted to give an idea that Rock is Dead is on the top of my choices. This was being used to emphatize my poor feelings about Seattle '70.
Fortunately, there's much material still to be released. Perhaps this is not the right place to do it and also is debatable but I would rank these priorities as follows:

- Roundhouse '68 (all available footage);
- Studio outtakes (2CDs hopefully);
- Matrix '67 boxset (with the entire content of the master tapes);
- Jim's poetry sessions (agreement with Morrisons/Coursons);
- Fillmore '67 (Mr Densmore, pleeease...);
- Isle of Wight '70 (entire show);
- Video box (with all the TV shows in the highest possible quality);
- Bakersfield '70;
- Feast of Friends (maybe included on the video box);
- HWY - An American pastoral (maybe included on the video box);
- Stockholm '68;
- Hollywood Bowl '68 (entire show in HD);
- Rock is Dead (entire) session;
- Seattle '70;

Actually for Seattle '70 this could be it:
Don't forget Cinematheque 69.
Silver Forest

Post by Silver Forest »

Agree.
I hope that the master tape has the whole session(s) without the cuts we heard about on the past.
Roughie

Post by Roughie »

I've always wanted a proper release of the Rock is Dead session. I am keen on studio versions and outtakes just as much as live stuff!
Starting pre production on a sketch show. More soon.

Follow me on twitter @purplesheepprd
mystery_train67

Silver Forest wrote:The only song is worth in this show is Someday Soon. The rest is a long boring sequence of songs. It justifies a official download only. I would discard this in favor of some other stuff. For instance if I was given choice between an official release of Seattle '70 and "Rock is dead" session I would pick the last one. Seattle was (probably together with NO) the bottom line of the '70 shows.
I would also pick Rock Is Dead.

But I maintain that Seattle is definitely NOT the worst show alongside New Orleans. More to the point, you haven't even heard New Orleans to be making that judgement.

I like Seattle because John, Ray, and Robby are on fire and play some wonderful music. Jim I guess is having an off night, but having said that, it's not as off the wall off as Boston, and though it is interesting to hear Boston, I can't listen to it and enjoy it repeatedly because for some reason Ray doesn't sound up to his usual game, nor does Robby, and Jim more or less ruins the shows with intrusive drunk vocals.

So there :D
dj_vera

Post by dj_vera »

BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Morrison and pals, on the other hand, were willing to walk on the wire every night. Yes, big hits like "Light My Fire" and album cuts like “The End” were virtually always there. But they played instrumental versions of songs like "L.A. Woman" and more before they were even recorded.

:shock: I'd like to hear that!
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Maybe that reviewer is mixing up "L.A. Woman" with the "Peace Frog" instrumental from the Aquarius? He also writes that Vancouver is one of the shortest BMA releases. At nearly two hours, it's actually one of the longest single shows after gigs like the two New York late shows, Aquarius late, and Detroit. Unless he's counting the multi-show releases like Boston and New York by their total running times.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

You're probably correct about it being "Peace Frog." It probably isn't any of the "L.A. Woman" album tracks that were performed live/rehearsed at the Aquarius prior to being recorded ("Been Down So Long", "The Changeling", "Crawlin' King Snake" and "Cars Hiss By My Window"), as those all include vocals. I suppose the only possibility is "Cars Hiss By My Window" from "Backstage and Dangerous", as it contains a fairly long instrumental passage.
DalloLama

Post by DalloLama »

Yesterday I spotted Live in Vancouver in 3 different stores in Sydney, Australia. I ordered it from the Doors website and haven't received it yet! I may as well buy it here lol.
lizardkingteo

Post by lizardkingteo »

i received the Vancouver today , got it from Ebay and it had very slow shiping ,

i must say it has awful digipack , i ll give it a listen without expecting something exciting .
wheelz34gh

Post by wheelz34gh »

i like it. A little more tape hiss than I expected. But, it's nice to have this show w/o the channel dropouts. Definitely an upgrade

As far as the show goes, I always felt that they didn't hit their groove until 5 to 1. Decent show from there on.
Buda

Post by Buda »

lizardkingteo wrote:i received the Vancouver today , got it from Ebay and it had very slow shiping ,

i must say it has awful digipack , i ll give it a listen without expecting something exciting .
Your current avatar makes up for the mishandling of this (otherwise could be great) release.

I won't even ask for a bigger version! :wink:
The Royal Sperm

Post by The Royal Sperm »

Just Recieved Vancouver!

listening right now ...
www.KatRecords.com
http.//devil-sperm.tripod.com
mystery_train67

i pre ordered from the doors/music today. it is very slow in getting here. looks like it will be music in a few more days, hopefully at least.
Frequincy

Post by Frequincy »

wheelz34gh wrote:i like it. A little more tape hiss than I expected.
I think some of the "tape hiss" poeple are refering to on this release sounds like the P.A. Tape noise doesn't sound like that. The noise I hear sounds electrical, generated from amplifiers. If you listen close to the noise, it has ambience also, like it was captured, because it was there at the source. That's my 2 cents anyway.
He is the Last Dinosaur!
Porsche

Post by Porsche »

Frequincy wrote:
wheelz34gh wrote:i like it. A little more tape hiss than I expected.
I think some of the "tape hiss" poeple are refering to on this release sounds like the P.A. Tape noise doesn't sound like that. The noise I hear sounds electrical, generated from amplifiers. If you listen close to the noise, it has ambience also, like it was captured, because it was there at the source. That's my 2 cents anyway.
The band wasn't sure either, as Track 8 attests:

Ray: What is that noise?
Jim: What is that, the air conditioner humming? What is that?

:lol: