Love Live Recordings

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

BallroomDays67

Love Live Recordings

Post by BallroomDays67 »

It’s a shame that there are no live recordings available from your time with Love, and also before you joined. There isn’t even an audience recording. It was tough to read what you wrote about the aborted attempt to film Love at the Hullabaloo, as it obviously would have been an amazing live document. Are there any other shows that could have possibly been recorded? How about the Fillmore? Do you think it’s at all possible that a recording might exist in the Bill Graham archives, now owned by Wolfgang’s Vault?
MichaelStuart-Ware

live recordings

Post by MichaelStuart-Ware »

Almost certainly if someone had recorded any Love concert during the mid-to-late sixties, those tapes would have surfaced by now, so we can only assume...
jamestkirk

Post by jamestkirk »

That is such a shame!
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

It does take a long time indeed to surface.Johnny Echols told me he did see tapers at different gigs, so there must be something out there...
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

There was a local legend, named Jeffie Eisen, who was a friend of ours. Many times, while we were playing at Bido Lito's, he would bring his Roberts tape recorder and set up next to my amp. I know he made several tapes which he played for Arthur and I.

There was also a recording made in San francisco , of a Show we did for the Family dog, at the Avalon Ballroom. I remember hearing Tjay Cantrelli playing, a really great flute solo. I have no clue, what happened to them, or if they still exist.

I'm sure some old reel to reel tapes, are sitting, with no label in someone's garage, waiting to be discovered.

That's the way it goes! JE.
BallroomDays67

Post by BallroomDays67 »

Thanks for that! It provides hope that something will turn up eventually. Another possibility is the 4/18/68 performance at the Fillmore, as mentioned in another thread. That would be a nice quality recording, if it still exists.