DOORS' LoVE

Michael Stuart-Ware (drummer on LoVE's classic albums Da Capo and Forever Changes) and Johnny Echols (lead guitarist and co-founder of LoVE) have joined us here on the Forum to answer your questions about their time with LoVE.At this moment they are not active as members and are not answering questions but I'm proud to have them both aboard at The Freedom Man Forum!

Moderator: The Freedom Man

jamestkirk

DOORS' LoVE

Post by jamestkirk »

I have always read and you have mentioned being buddies with the Doors, Johnny...you were always "cool" with them.

John Densmore, particularly, has often talked of his musical appreciation and respect for Arthur Lee & LoVE, and the indebtedness he feels for Arthur getting them the Elektra deal.

Here is a bit from him in the NY Times about the induction of Jac into the HALL...even if he sometimes seemed to have been clueless with respect to Love & how to market them (he finally got it right with the DOORS), Jac did have a natural instinct and nose for the cutting edge and cream of the crop with respect to signing artists...for that we are eternally thankful.

NY TIMES--
Feeling that the New York music scene had grown too competitive, Mr. Holzman turned his attention to Los Angeles. In 1966 Elektra signed the rock bands Love and the Doors.

John Densmore, the drummer for the Doors, was already a fan of Elektra Records. “They had Butterfield,” he said. “And then they signed Love, this interracial band that broke the mold with black guys playing like the Byrds.”

[/quote]http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/arts/ ... lzman.html

So, Johnny...are you still buds with Densmore who continually speaks of Love with affection?

=)
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music".

-Aldous Huxley
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

A question from jtk.

So, Johnny...are you still buds with Densmore who continually speaks of Love with affection?

John and I are still "Buds" though we don't see each other that often. I have only genuine affection for the Doors. They did it right!
Johnny Echols

Post by Johnny Echols »

In my opinion the Doors were a huge success, because of who they were, and would have been so, no matter what Record Company they signed with. The "genius" Jac Holzman had to be browbeaten into signing them. It required four trips to the Whisky, for him to realize what we all knew from day one. These guys have.... IT! Truth be told, Elektra came close to missing the boat entirely.

The Doors got it right from the beginning. Jim noticed all the turmoil surrounding Love, and was determined not to make the same mistakes we made. Creating rock songs is nearly always a group effort. That's just the nature of the music. Musicians play what they feel, and usually create their own parts. Some riffs and chords are so integral to a song, that they become part of the songs "Signature," (note the intro to "Light my Fire.") Many times the person credited as writer, contributes the words or an idea, and little else. If a group wants to remain together, and continue being productive. Recognition, as well as compensation, should be shared by all those involved in the creation of the music. If that had been a universal policy, an Army of Lawyers would have been put out of business. Many groups that split up, would have continued making music together, and we all would be the better for it. Just imagine, "What If?"