New Member & a hat tip to Vince Treanor

Introduce yourself to the forum or just get something off your chest in this off-topic area.

Moderators: The Freedom Man, TheDoorsMusic

Lewiston Dave

New Member & a hat tip to Vince Treanor

Post by Lewiston Dave »

Hello, New member here, but long time Doors fan (I remember walking downtown in Lewiston, Idaho and purchasing WAITING FOR THE SUN.) I'd like to give a hat tip to Vince Treanor & thank him for taking the time to contribute all that he has to this Forum. His writings have certainly opened my eyes to how things were "in the trenches" and I find it refreshing. Thank you, Vince, for all of the time and energy you put into sharing the experiences you had as Road Manager of the Doors. I don't know if Vince is done answering questions in the Forum, but just in case he sees this (or someone else that knows), I would be interested in knowing what light show the band was able to carry with them for the Absolutely Live Shows. Looking at picture of the stage set-up in Pittsburgh (Civic Arena) in 1970, the lighting looks to come from three long, slender boxes, laying on the floor at the front of the stage. What kinds of lights were in these boxes and who operated them? I assume that each contained many different colored lights? And also (changing the subject), why on earth would the band have traveled so far just to do a couple "trial" gigs with Jim (Dallas/New Orleans, Dec 1970) to see how things would go?
TheDoorsMusic
Site Administrator

Re: New Member & a hat tip to Vince Treanor

Post by TheDoorsMusic »

Welcome to the board, Dave!
SallyRide

Post by SallyRide »

Hi Dave, welcome!
Lewiston Dave

Post by Lewiston Dave »

Thanks for the welcomes to the Forum. You know, when I walked downtown to the Bon Marche is Lewiston to buy WAITING FOR THE SUN, I was probably 14-15 years old. My older brother had their first two LPs. Unfortunately, I never did see the Doors live. The nearest opportunities would have been in Seattle or Portland, 300 miles away. And that wasn't in the cards for me, though in retrospect I possibly could have made the Seattle 1970 show if I had known about it, but in those days info about their tours was not easy to get, unless I got my hands on a Seattle newspaper. Younger people these days just don't realize how different things were back then! So...I took WAITING FOR THE SUN home and played it on my GE Wildcat portable stereo, picked up the occasional fan mag or Rolling Stone and kept my eyes peeled on the 4 TV channels we had ... to occasionally see the Doors (& others) on one of the few variety shows ...Smothers Brothers, etc. By the time of MORRISON HOTEL, my friends and I were into better stereo equipment and eventually I was in a local band myself and we played a good version of "Roadhouse Blues".
(DO IT ROBBIE DO IT!) I am glad to have discovered the Forum ... it will take me some time to gradually poke around and absorb it all. Thanks again for the welcomes ....!
The Freedom Man
Site Owner

Post by The Freedom Man »

Welcome, thanks for joining the forum!
Can any Hell Be More Horrible Than Now In Real?
Pops

Post by Pops »

Welcome, Dave. :mrgreen:
desertlizard

Post by desertlizard »

have a seat, welcome =)
Carnival dog